cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Initial Release of Web UI Coming Later this Week

Operations Director

Initial Release of Web UI Coming Later this Week

I'm happy to announce the initial release of the Web UI is on target to be released during the latter part of this week.

The initial release will contain a handful of features our users told us were most important to them. They will include:

• Account Settings/Profile
  • Dashboard
  • Rules (Premium Customers)
  • Scenes (Premium Customers)
  • Devices (View Only)
  • Lights & Switches
  • History
  • Service Plan Maintenance (Where you can change your plan)

Future releases will continue to add things like:

• Add a person
  • Alarm UI
  • Camera viewing capabilities

The address will be https://home.irisbylowes.com. You will also be able to access the page via the login link found at the top-right corner of the https://irisbylowes.com web page. This project has been a labor of love, so we look forward to sharing it with the extended Iris family.

11 REPLIES 11
Tinkerer

Re: Initial Release of Web UI Coming Later this Week

can you do my Hub today before we leave on Vacation tomorrow?

We only take a few trips a year, but everytime we do, you opt to push out an update and render our system unstable while we are away..  while I'm excited to see this new WebUI, I can't handle another meltdown while we are away.

We have PETS, PetSitters and count on this system as our lifeline to them while we are away and everytime we've needed it we've had issues..  (because of an update) and the system has been unstable until I can come back home and reset many devices we count on most.

I can't take the stress and lack of dependability anymore.. 

Advanced Member

Perhaps you should pick up a Wifi switch that doesn't require a hub. That way you can reset your hub remotely.

I can't speak to how well the Iris Wifi switch works, but I have a way to do this through another method, and  it has saved me a few times.

Tinkerer

Thanks, I've had that thought before, but haven't had a chance to implement it yet.. and certainly no time to do it before this trip and short notice..    You'd think I'd learn based on the past track record..

At least this time I got an email notice.. back in December, it was unannounced until I was offline and on the opposite end of the country..   the worst part is this time, they pick the exact date we leave.. 

Frequent Contributor

Agree with comment of being knocked offline.  With first generation we chose when to update our hub.  so we could always be present.  With Iris systems in two vacation homes, seems that after being away for a while both systems become useless as they go offline or items stop communicating.  the depenability of the hub must be addressed.  Never had a problem with first gen hub.

Operations Director

Early on when we launched the Next Gen of Iris, hubs not restarting during a platform update was an unfortunately too common occurrence. However, we were able to ID most of the issues driving this behavior, and these days it should be the rare exception versus the rule. While we love the ingenuity of using a smart plug to restart a hub, it's also embarrassing that our users even have to come up with that type of ad hoc fix in the first place.

We've also started sending out emails informing our users of maintenance updates to the platform at least 24 hours prior to the event. Since a platform update is involved (the cloud) in addition to hubs, we don't have the ability to update hubs on a one-off basis.

Advanced Member

I will say, I have not had to remotely boot my Hub in quite some time.  So hopefully it will not be something I have to use again.

Highlighted
Tinkerer

@Terminal wrote:

I will say, I have not had to remotely boot my Hub in quite some time.  So hopefully it will not be something I have to use again.

I'm a little curious, how cycling the power on the hub resolves the issue since it's got back-up batteries in it?  It's not like a hard boot or 2 second restart?  Does it actually wake it up somehow?

every once in a while, I did exactly that on my Gen1 hub..  (manually) and it was enough to wake up the system and allow it to reconnect any disconnected devices..   I can only assume it forced the hub to ping all the devices, even tho it was also battery backed..

Tinkerer

I still think we should have the option to do it when it's best for our system and our individual situtation..

in the ICS world, we never ever force the customer to upgrade..  

we allow them to do so when they can do it when it's best for them..   so, as to allow them to schdule it during a maintenence planned down time.

You did exactly that in v1..   it would seem logical to have the same fuctionality for v2.

(I know, wishful thinking but I had to say that I agree with irsancharles above)

Advanced Member

The remote switch my Hub is plugged into is connected to a UPS, so no need for the batteries in the Hub.  It is a rather robust UPS which will keep the Hub powered for much longer than the batteries would have. So I removed the batteries from the Hub.  When I  remotely remove power to the HUB is the same as a 2 second reset.