cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Iris going to be around much longer ?

Community Manager

Re: Is Iris going to be around much longer ?

Thank you for your comments Vettester.

Developing and adding features to a system like Iris is a careful deliberative process, that involves coordination between a lot of people in diverse roles including project management, engineering, marketing, hardware development, quality assurance, operations, documentation, and support. In a way it is kind of like a construction project in the physical world - many things have dependencies, and a large diverse group of professionals with different skills sets need to be involves at just the right time to bring everything together. Our customers all rely upon Iris's functionality and use the system in numerous different ways and we want to be sure that everything we do will benefits as many folks as possible while keeping the system running robustly and reliably.

A side effect of this is that sometimes new features don't get released as quickly as some folks desire. While I know that it isn't what you perhaps want to hear, I hope that this helps you understand a bit more. No matter what, we'll keep working for you and all of our customers.

-Mike

PS: In the most recent release of our new "Inside Iris" blog we talk a bit about how we develope and test Iris releases, if this is something that interests you: https://www.irisbylowes.com/blog/iris-at-home/works-with-iris-device/

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@MikeS I have spent 15 years in the web application support role. Perhaps you can answer me this as Patrick seemed to literally vanish. What would you as a customer think of a company who offered you the following after you invested $500 to install some hardware along with nearly a year of the app itself showing an energy card and stating <Coming Soon>

Aug 10 @IrisByLowes when will my Aeon Labs EnergyMonitor start working/be supported again ?

Aug 10 @euthorus Energy monitoring is something we're currently working on. Keep checking back for more updates

Oct 28 @IrisByLowes you know whats scary ? It's been 5 months now that you disabled my Home EnergyMonitor by forcing the "Nextgen" switch.

Oct 31 @euthorus We're currently working on bringing back energy monitoring to Iris, so we appreciate your patience here.

Operations Director

Re: Freaking Power Meter

We were sorry we were not able to bring every single Iris First Generation device to the Iris First Generation platform.  The three devices we did not carry forward were the Blueline Energy Meter, the Aeon Energy Meter, and the Ivee voice device.  None of these devices were moved to the new platform due to extremely low user counts, and/or the quality of experience they provided our customers. All users with these devices should have received an email informing them of the change on May 2nd, 2016.

Now here is the fun part, no such email ever went out, no apology or explanation offered. No one owned up to ****ing the customers over. @MikeS  you pretty much follow suit and ignore my comments so I will continue posting and start emailing Mick Koster to hopefully get an answer/refund.

Community Manager

euthorus,

I can understand your frustration. I can't speak for what happened in the past, but I am going to do my damndest to get you an answer. I know patience may be the hardest thing to once again request but let me work this and try to get some answers one way or the other.

-Mike

Frequent Contributor

The staff in general at my local Lowe's store are diminishing and when I need technical help, it's quite disappointing.

This store has major problems in general.

As far as smart products it's a dusty, disorganized, half-stocked mess. Yes, the Iris end cap is there, but I've never had

someone stop and ask if I need help when I stood there checking out the Iris products. 

Community Manager

Hi awraynor,

Can you PM me the location of your store. We work to educate stores on Iris and make sure the displays are in good shape so we want to make sure this gets fixed.

Thanks!

-Mike

Frequent Contributor

MikeS Community Manager

‎01-02-2018 12:20 PM
Hi,

Short of something unforseen involving zombies or perhaps a large asteroid, the end is most certainly not nigh for Iris. 

MikeS, Bro - Come On Down !  Care to explain the statement you made above ? I got some ideas on how you could compensate us for lying. 

Community Manager

Believe me, I (and the rest of the team) felt like a large astroid hit when we found out this news :-(

Certainly wish it could have gone the other way.

-Mike

Frequent Contributor

While i am still furious with Lowes over this decision, atleast MikeS gave us an honest answer about how it went down inside the closed doors os Lowes. It happened without input from the stakeholder and without the experts. So sad to see Lowes fall AND FAIL so quickly.

Frequent Contributor

ot paid enoughfor my equipment to get into an alarm.com system with Frontpoint. the kkequipment is more expensive, like double, and so is the monthly (3X-5X Iris  if you get home automation and camera) with a 3 year contract. And you  have to have all the service to use the phone app

now the positives: it's a real sysstem run entirley on cellular signal provided by Verizon. The app is simple, easy and reliable, the equipment response is reliable, much higher quality and instantaneolus response. For isntance, the motion sensors don't get triggered by my 9 lb house poet like Iris gen 1 & 2 sensors did.  the result is that I am glad Iris went belly up and had to pay me $600 for my equipment, whcih more than covered my new, much pbetter system NEFORE I sold all the Iris stuff on Ebay for another $100.

Now AI feel much better about my security system because it is a real onewith excellent customers witha 24 hour battery backup that can't be compromised by cutting my internet cable and power. it is much easier to install and the stuff stays installed AND I can put sensors in outlying buildings on my 1/4 acre, whichwas not posible with Iris.Also, I saved money buy doing a bit of research and buying about 12 last gen sensors compatible with my new system for half what the new ones cost from Frontpoint.

'

long list of past frustrations with Iris: I had to stand at my door and click and click the fob before it would get picked up and disarm the system. The app only worked part of the time. The indoor Iris brand cam NEVER worked. The GE light switch hardly ever worked. a smoke detector and siren wouldn't stay connected things were a pain to put on the system. this  forum has light gray font that I can't see well with no spell check

Finally: GoodbyeSweet  Iris and GOOD RIDDANCED. just thijnhk, people, If Lowes had have designed Iris sensibly as a standalone wifi system like all the other wifi equipment we have, then they would';t have had to buy back all our equipment  that won't work without the website! Duh!

Frequent Contributor

@euthorus wrote:
Iris is either circling the drain and grasping at the straws for quick stop gap with the cash flow or they REALLY hate their customers. They apparently can't afford the development costs to do things right so instead they offer another useless paid service.

Every Lowes I have been to in now Virginia, Idaho, Utah and NC display perpetually shrinking Iris shelves with mostly empty product hangers and minimal device choices offered for sale.
Most store associates know nothing of Iris, device support or options and I am now seeing the kind of discounts you see in the liquidation sales on the meager sensor selection that somehow is still in stock.

Not the picture of health from a $2500 investment in hardware and $120 annualy I as a customer get.

Now regarding you pro-monitoring. You sold most of us dumb hopefuls on the idea of a nice, we'll supported a la carte home automation and security with NO contracts or fees. We had it all in V1 and I gladly spent $$$$ on devices and the tiny 3gb of cloud storage for my cameras.

I will not speak of the epic fail cluster f*** of the V2 upgrade. But you did make both written and verbal promises to make things right. Promises you officially retracted in this very community forum. Instead you chose to offer us, the DIY crowd, a service that everyone one and their ADT dog already does so much better.

Why ????