cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please fix phone system / wasting time during call setup

Highlighted
Tinkerer

Please fix phone system / wasting time during call setup

Every time your monitoring station calls me, I answer the phone and get silence. Then 5 seconds later I get someone saying "Hello?"  It's clear to me that your phone system is not connecting them until well after I have answered the call.

So it always takes 30 seconds of time before we are communicating about the issue. Given that this might be a life or house-threatening event, I would deeply appreciate it if you'd improve your phone system.

7 REPLIES
Tinkerer

Re: Please fix phone system / wasting time during call setup

I haven't experianced this issue. They answer as soon as I get the call, conrim indentity and passcode and were done. 

Have you tried calling the Monitoring Station directly? I called mine directly when I accidently gave them the wrong passcode to disable the police coming out to the house. 

You might try calling them and seeing if there is a lag on the monitoring stations end? 

Tinkerer

I haven't experianced this issue. They answer as soon as I get the call, conrim indentity and passcode and were done. 

Lucky you ;-)

Have you tried calling the Monitoring Station directly? I called mine directly when I accidently gave them the wrong passcode to disable the police coming out to the house. You might try calling them and seeing if there is a lag on the monitoring stations end?

I'm really not sure what you are suggesting here. I'm not complaining about how they answer the phone. I'm complaining about losing 30 seconds of time in call setup when they call me. I work in communications, and recognize the null blankness of a not-connected line as well as the line status change and the sudden insertion of background noise and breath that indicates I now have a live human.

This is 100% due to a slow dialer/transfer system. Normally I wouldn't care, but if my house is burning down I want those 30 seconds back, and if someone is breaking into the house or it's a medical emergency I want to be able to validate faster.

Tinkerer

And again, today we accidentally went out an tracked door after alarming (didn't realize someone armed mid-day) so when the service called I was talking to silence for almost 45 seconds before their voice cut in suddenly, forcing me to repeat everything I had already said.

I get calls all day every day, I only have this particular problem with spam telemarketers. You're a security company, you can afford a better phone system @Iris

Tinkerer

I'm confused. I'm paying for Pro Monitoring but you can't even be bothered to respond to our concerns?

Tinkerer

Morning @jorhett!

What I was proposing was that maybe there is a connection issue with the monitoring station. My monitoring station is a 3rd party. UCC or something like that. If you are saying their dialer is slow to respond, wouldn't it be on the end of the monitoring station and not on the end of Iris? Could you call them and ask if there is an issue? Maybe it's just on your end? I'm not saying I'm lucky that I don't have the problem, I'm saying that what you are experiencing is not congruent with what I'm experiencing. You continue to have the same lag, while I don't and although no one else has chimed in, I'm sure there would be more complaints if it was more than an isolated issue.

I'm sure the system triggers the station immediately, and then then the station's system dials the call, connects the line, etc. Wouldn't it be a possible solution to call them and maybe have them run a few test calls and see if there is a lag on their end? Maybe something isn't working right? 

Maybe they don't know that their dialer is causing this delay? That's all. 

Tinkerer

I think you miss the point. Iris/Lowes isn't paying me to fix their problems. Reporting the problem to them so that they can verify for themselves is above and beyond my call of duty here.

Now it's on them to fix their problem.

Tinkerer

Is this issue isolated or are a lot of people getting the silence in the call back? This is a big issue if it happens to anyone.