cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro Monitoring Rip Off

Beginner

Pro Monitoring Rip Off

Hello,

I just want to start by saying that, I am not disgruntled or dissatisfied with my Iris by Lowe's product in any way. However, I am taken aback that they are charging so much money for their professional monitoring service. The monthly cost of service is about the same as other providers that are willing to provide equipment, installation and monitoring. I would have thought that after I have taken the time to purchase my equipment upfront, install it myself, work through all the technical bugs that were prevalent in the system, that the fruit of my labor would be an offering of monitoring at a cost that was more competitive to the market. After all, a lot of the technologies used are universal and I have a choice 

of service providers to monitor my system.I am interested to hear what others have to say regarding this issue. Thanks!

13 REPLIES
Tinkerer

Re: Pro Monitoring Rip Off

Really?  For me, pro monitoring is $15/month and includes cellular backup (if you have the modem).
I find that this is much cheaper than the other options out there. The only option I have found that is the same price is simplysafe's standard monitoring... however I think the features you get with iris pro monitoring is more similar to their "interactive" monitoring, which is $24.99.

Who are those companies you are referring to that offer monitoring and provide the equipment for free for $15/month???
Could you please provide some specific examples? Maybe they are out there but I haven't seen them...
I my opinion is completely opposite from yours. From my research iris pro monitoring is an incredible value... its probably the cheapest option for the features you get...
How can you say its a "rip off"?

Frequent Contributor

$15 is still on the low side for a service like this, it's affordable to me and I'm happy that it includes the features of the $10 a month premium service I've been paying for a while and + cellular backup. The biggest thing to me though that makes it worth it, is not having to deal with any contract. This is just a month to month service and it's exactly what we need.

Beginner

Thanks for your response.

I am not going to take the time to debate the cost of every security companies service. I will leave that for everyone to do for themselves. An Internet search for alarm companies will provide an extensive list of comparable monitoring services for around $20. 

My point is not why someone would choose one company over the other, but that I think Iris By Lowe's is taking for granted my loyalty after already investing in their product. Please take in to consideration the countless trips back and forth returning defective products and the hours on the phone with tech support that I and others have endured. In many cases, the same problem with other companies would have been solved by a technician coming to the house.

Basically, I and others have already done all the hard work and are now been asked to pay too much for monitoring only. 

Frequent Contributor

I find that surprising and certainly would not call it a rip off. Even the cheapest local option for us is 20$. I expect iris as some point to go up in price to the 20$ mark and still consider that a value with everything you get. To each their own I suppose.
VIP

I agree with the OP. I think Lowe's should bring the equipment we want, install it, monitor for free and give us a monthly $50 gift card for the pleasure.

Frequent Contributor

Sign me up again!

Frequent Contributor

We had simplisafe prior to Iris. The monitoring was unprofessional at best! We didn't have near the functionality of the Iris system and in the 2 years we had them we went through 2 base stations and 3 keypads (the main parts of the system that are required for it to function. I am sorry, but 15 dollars a month is a bargain compared to 40 dollars for the ADT system or 45 on average a month for the other local services in my area. Comcast is 30  a month for the first year and then 40 a month for year 2... ATT was 40 a month...

Iris is a great deal. We can customise the system to your own needs. Customize rules, triggers etc. Simplisafe was 15 a month but if you wanted to use the app to arm/disarm do anysort of home monitoring it was 25... and you bought the equipment which was garbage. 

Frequent Contributor

For me, Iris is quite comparable and in the case of my previous provider, much more cost affective for the "same" service. I was with AT&T Digital Life prior to Iris. I paid about $70/month. The difference between DL and Iris is that DL charges more/month for each additional type of decide you add. For instance, just for basic security monitoring without additional devices, it may be $30-$35/month depending on the current promotion. If you want to add a touchscreen door lock or cameras, the monthly cost goes up. If you want to then add a thermostat or flood detector or smart plugs, the price is even higher than the previous plan. I can have all of that with Iris and still only pay $14.95/month, $16 including tax. Also, after the initial install, they charge $99 to come out and install devices each time you add something new. In some cases, they charge to come out and service the devices as well. Iris is a much better setup in comparison to that.
Highlighted
VIP

Excellent comparison. Thanks for sharing.