cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no workable set of rules for automatic alarming

Tinkerer

no workable set of rules for automatic alarming

I have to say that after the last hour, I'm boggled and amazed at just how useless the rules and scenes are. Let me give you examples of everything I wanted to do but can't.

• If back door is locked when front is locked set alarm to partial
  • If back door is locked when front is locked and motion sensor senses no motion, set alarm to on -- can't check other lock status or motion sensor
  • If both doors are locked and I'm away, set alarm to partial
  • I'm away and motion sensor senses no motion, set alarm to on
  • If alarm is set to on, lock both locks when timer expires -- it happens instantly, so can't get out the door
  • Open the door, set the alarm and expect it won't lock the door until it closes -- locks the deadbolt while the door is open, preventing it from being closed

In short, there are dead zero rules which can be used to ensure my alarm is set. I must leave the house and then set the alarm using the app which can have a scene to lock the doors. Without the app, I must manually lock every door and then set the alarm... like it's 1979 or something.

Note: I'm not being capricious. Every one of the above rules works fine with Wink and their Lookout service. However they don't have pro monitoring, so I'm stuck with Iris's limited abilities.

Iris desperately needs

• multi-condition -- ability to check multiple locks, sensor status
  • the ability to run a scene AFTER the grace period expires
  • the ability for a scene to run some timeout period after the event
5 REPLIES 5
Community Manager

Re: no workable set of rules for automatic alarming

Hi,

Our forthcoming platform update, scheduled for next week, will resolve the issue where rules/scenes execute (i.e. lock the doors when the alarm arms) before the grace period is done; it was a bug that it executed immeditely.

Thanks,

-Mike

Highlighted
Tinkerer

MikeS: so I just went and tested this, 2 months later, running latest code... no dice. I alarm it, less than 2 seconds later (before I could get out the door and turn around) the lock extends and I can't shut the door. See the log here:

Community Manager

Hi,

If you don't mind, as an experiment, can you try deleting the rule you are using, and then recreate it? I know that is a bit of a pain, but this may fix your problem.

Thanks,

-Mike

Tinkerer

FYI I hadn't tested this in a while so I tried it again last week, and each time I enabled the alarm it wanted until it counted down before locking the door.

Thank you for fixing that.

Now we really need to be able to set alarms based on more than one criteria...

Tinkerer

FYI everything said in the opening post of this thread remains true, except for the race condition on arming the door. It's pretty useless for security automation if you have more than a single door.