cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st gen 110-volt smart plug issues

Frequent Contributor

1st gen 110-volt smart plug issues

I've been using a few 2nd gen plugs and Sylvania bulbs for a few months with a 2nd gen hub without issues.  I added a few 1st gen smart plugs and am having trouble with them.

The 1st gens paired just fine (10' from my hub to pair and then moved no more than 30' away for usage).  Iris app will control them but often when I switch them on, the app shows it's on and then the slider switch will change and shows it's off.  The device remains on but on the app it appears off.  I think that is messing with my ability to control it with Alexa?  I can tell Alexa to turn on the device but it's a 50/50 chance it will work.  If it does turn on, I can't tell Alexa to turn it off.  Is this an issue with the 1st gen plugs?  Any suggestions?

Thanks for listening to my first post.

14 REPLIES
Tinkerer

Re: 1st gen 110-volt smart plug issues

I use several of the V1 smart plugs on 2 separate systems.  I use them almost every day and have not noticed any issues with them on Alexa, or within the app.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks. I wish mine worked. I have reset the plugs and the hub and nothing changed. Any time I open the app it shows that my devices are on when in fact they are not. It shows 0.0W being used. I hope someone from Iris can help!
Tinkerer

Maybe try removing one of them from Iris, reset it, then re-pair it to the hub?  I haven't had this issue with smart plugs, but I used to get that exact issue with GE zwave switches.  I always had to remove, reset and re-pair for them to start working properly.

Frequent Contributor

Well, I spent some time this weekend removing, resetting, and re-pairing each plug and the problem still exists.  I've tried using a plug just a few feet away from the hub (in case it's a range problem) but it still acts the same.  I'm not sure what else I can do!

Frequent Contributor

I am still fighting an issue and I really hope someone from Iris can help.

What I have found is when I tell Alexa to turn on a device, it will come on and it shows as such in the Iris app.  When I tell Alexa to turn on the same device, the device will shut off but it will still display as ON in the Iris app.  I have to tell Alexa to turn it off again so it shows as OFF in the Iris app.    Only then can I turn a device on from Alexa.  

I can't believe that I'm the only one with this issue.  Is there a way I can escalate this?

Frequent Contributor

Were you able to find a resolution?  The 1st gen plugs are under $10 right now, I would like to add a few of them to my 2nd gen hub.  I'm actually less concerned if the plugs themselves work well...worst case if they don't work for me I can return or toss them away, given the price point.  What I'm worried about is the stability of the system.  I know that Z-wave is generally finnicky, and IRIS has had its share of issue with Z-wave devices.  I actually want to strengthen my Z-wave network, and I know that 2nd gen smart plugs are the way to do that.  Not so sure about 1st gen.  I I don't want to do anything out of  straight path that could destabilize my other devices.  Is adding 1gen plugs generally safe in that sense?  Did support shed any light on this for you?

Advanced Member

@virtu789 wrote:

Were you able to find a resolution?  The 1st gen plugs are under $10 right now, I would like to add a few of them to my 2nd gen hub.  I'm actually less concerned if the plugs themselves work well...worst case if they don't work for me I can return or toss them away, given the price point.  What I'm worried about is the stability of the system.  I know that Z-wave is generally finnicky, and IRIS has had its share of issue with Z-wave devices.  I actually want to strengthen my Z-wave network, and I know that 2nd gen smart plugs are the way to do that.  Not so sure about 1st gen.  I I don't want to do anything out of  straight path that could destabilize my other devices.  Is adding 1gen plugs generally safe in that sense?  Did support shed any light on this for you?

You should be OK.  I have eight 1st gen smart plugs paired to my hub along with nine gen 2 smart plugs with no issues.  The biggest difference between the two is the gen 1 only repeats zigbee while the gen 2 repeats both the Z-wave and zigbee protocols.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks.  

Seems like I spoke too soon on the availability.  They're still listed in the IRIS store, but trying to order them does not go thorugh.   It looks like they are discontinued Smiley Sad

Advanced Member

I believe Scunny still has some availble.  He's asking $32 plus shipping for a 4-pack.

http://forum.livingwithiris.com/topic/4332-v1-smart-plugs-v1-smart-buttons/?tab=comments#comment-377...

I have purchased several things from him in the past and would say he is very reputable.