cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody going to Abode?

Highlighted
Tinkerer

Anybody going to Abode?

Anybody started a transition to Abode? Their system seems user friendly and security side is good. The HA side seems to have sufficient options. Could use some better cameras/options for outdoors though. Their new iota kit seems to cover all the protocol bases - wifi, z-wave, zigbee and their own security frequency.

They also have their CUE which is their version of IFTTT. If you go with the GEN2 hub it must be connected by Ethernet cable to your router for those that prefer that. They gave me a discount code when I e-mailed them telling I was from IRIS shopping systems. Doesn't look like any devices will carry over and work or at least they wouldn't commit that to me. 

13 REPLIES 13
Tinkerer

Re: Anybody going to Abode?

Well after getting outside of our little IRIS web of forums and doing several hours of reading on REDDIT I decided to give ABODE a try. My home is the test subject. This is system 1 of 4.  I decided to start with the iota starter kit and added a couple motion sensors, keypad and door contacts to the order. Over on REDDIT some were saying the v2 smart plugs work so I shall see. Abode seemed to be the most PnP system that at present covers both security and HA and covers ITTT with their CUE program.  As I like battery powered cameras for outside I will most likely use another brand (arlo or blink) for that purpose but have not decided. I really liked the IRIS battery cameras and was getting around 3-4 weeks between recharging.  

Frequent Contributor

@Augie20 wrote:

Well after getting outside of our little IRIS web of forums and doing several hours of reading on REDDIT I decided to give ABODE a try. My home is the test subject. This is system 1 of 4.  I decided to start with the iota starter kit and added a couple motion sensors, keypad and door contacts to the order. Over on REDDIT some were saying the v2 smart plugs work so I shall see. Abode seemed to be the most PnP system that at present covers both security and HA and covers ITTT with their CUE program.  As I like battery powered cameras for outside I will most likely use another brand (arlo or blink) for that purpose but have not decided. I really liked the IRIS battery cameras and was getting around 3-4 weeks between recharging.  

I'm stil trying to nail down a platform to move to.  I have not recieved my card yet, but I am fretting about waiting too long to start changing over.

If you can, would you mind posting your results over to the Living withOUT Iris forums also?

Living with Iris - Abode

Tinkerer

Sure will. I placed order last night so I should get sometime next week. I should have noted above that with the 15% discount they gave me it came at a reasonable price.  Also don't take the camera comment as a negative. They do have both indoor and outdoor cameras. I just prefer battery power outdoors for easy installation. 

Frequent Contributor

Have you seen the new upcoming Kasa cameras? 

Kasa kc300

Kasa Smart Video Doorbell

Do you really trust Amazon into your home, collecting video data? I would run Arlo before Blink or Next. 

Arlo makes a nice kit, but I've been really happy with TP Link's products and support. 

Tinkerer

I hear you on that!! I was just using examples of battery cameras for outdoors. The Kasa camera and video doorbell look interesting. We will see how soon they come out. I really have not put much thought into cameras being there are options already out there so I can get whatever I want pretty quick! Thanks for the info on Kasa products.

Frequent Contributor

I really appreciate everyone’s feedback. I temporarily live in Chile and my HA system is crucial to make my Idaho home look lived in. I have to get home for a week by end of March to set up something to replace iris and the 40 devices I have. I won’t have time to try different things, I have to pick something and move forward. I’ve narrowed it down to Vera, until seeing these posts on Abode. So any info you post is truly appreciated.

Frequent Contributor

Does anyone know if Abode runs locally?

Frequent Contributor

Found this review of Abode, interesting read:

https://www.techhive.com/article/3259876/sensors/abode-review.html

Tinkerer

Good article. My Abode system is due for delivery today. I will try and get it up and running tonight and give a quick report over the weekend after I run it for a few days.