cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody going to Abode?

Tinkerer

Re: Anybody going to Abode?

Put my Abode system online 2/28 night. Here is a quick overview of how it went. I bought the Iota package with additional devices.

Unboxed and followed install directions of power up and hook in to Ethernet cable on router. All devices in Iota pack came pre-paired. Installed app and web ui and followed directions. Entered my wifi info and it connected. Proceeded to locate Iota where I wanted it. I am running it wifi for ease of placement. Went around and paired all my Iris V2 smart plugs to system. No problems. Tried to pair my IRIS V2 door contacts and they came up as temp sensors only.  This was stated somewhere else but I thought I would try it anyways. I then proceeded to install the door contacts that came with the Iota pack (1) and extras I had bought. Installed with no problems. I then factory reset my First Alert Smoke/Co Detectors and added them into the system. No problem. I then added a keypad, motion/lux/temp sensor with no problems. You add devices very similar to how we did with Iris. I then added a few lighting schedules and a few CUE programs. I spent around 3 hrs from start to finish and not rushing and eating dinner in the process so it really went smooth. My initial view - Easy setup, nice app and wui, program is easy to use and customize. System 2 is set to arrive Monday and I will be ordering systems 3 & 4 this weekend. 

Thank you Lowe's for treating us as valued customers. 

Tinkerer

Quick update. Have had Abode system up and running for a few days now. No problems at all. My 2nd system came today so I will be setting that up tomorrow as it is snowing and I don't feel like driving cross town tonight. I have 20 devices connected at location #1. All the IRIS V2 smart plugs work. I was able to get my Utilitech Siren connected using the CUE program. It pairs as a switch so I had to do 2 programs to turn it on during an alarm and off in standby mode. I saw on some sites users complaining (imagine that!) about their CS response time but they have been very responsive to my few questions. The system is very user friendly but does lack a user forum like IRIS has/had. There is a Reddit forum that they are on that is ok but their own would be better. I am spoiled from IRIS!! They do have an updated device list that is supposed to be coming next week that adds 30 + devices to the present lineup. 

Tinkerer

Setup 2nd system last night. Everything went smooth. Did find that V3 (wide) smart plugs also pair with Abode. The Utilitech Siren also pairs as a switch and then you can set it up through the CUE program for alarming so I was able to reuse that also. Very Happy so far!! Am waiting on 3rd system to show up later this week.

Highlighted
Tinkerer

Quick update. Have 3 systems up and running. They are all the Iota version. As stated above setup was super easy. I am using them all on wifi. I have had no connection problems and devices seem good. I have a 4th unit due to be delivered today or tomorrow. This unit will be the GEN2 version so I will leave a quick overview of how that setup goes. I'm not really expecting anything to be different from other systems. Abode handles both Security and HA so I am a little puzzled why so many people are going to multiple system device combinations. If you are a "POWER" user I get the multi systems. It's fun to see how much you can get them to do! But for the typical DIY'er you can't beat Abode for simplicity and covering all the bases. Also this week they sent out an update which added a bunch more devices so I think they are up to around 75 certified devices plus over 200 + devices and programs going through their IFTTT channel.