cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Idea - Does anyone else do something like this?

Frequent Contributor

Camera Idea - Does anyone else do something like this?

I have several cameras with various rules to trigger recordings. My only problem I was running into is I was getting too many recordings of myself while at home. I do not want to set schedules on my recording rules as my schedule is unpredicatable and I do not know when I'll be at home or not. I still want to see what's happening in my home, what animal activity I get, who comes and goes while I'm out, etc. 

So, I was thinking and I decided to plug each camera into a smart plug and I set up a scene to run when I leave and come home triggered from my keyfob. The scene is to turn off my smart plugs to my cameras when I get home and to turn them back on when I leave. So far so good! 

Any thoughts or input on this? Was there an easier way or did I do the best thing? So far I'm happy with it ::smiles::

5 REPLIES
WLY
Frequent Contributor

Re: Camera Idea - Does anyone else do something like this?

I also have the same issue with working outside.  How many outdoor cameras do you have.   One of my big problems has been maintaining internet connectivity with the "Indoor-Outdoor Cameras"  Any little blip in the power and all 5 of the indoor-outdoor cameras lose connection.  Which requires climbing the pole to bring the cameras inside to pair them back up.  I have 3 of the older indoor cameras that never lose connectivity.  I have 2 indoor cameras within a few feet of the hub and one indoor-outdoor camera in the same general area.  The "indoor-outdoor" camera loses connectivity even though it is around 6' from the hub, directly in line with the hub. 

WLY
Frequent Contributor

I am of the delusion the smart plugs also serve as range extenders ?????????

Advanced Member

As I mentioned in one of your other posts, the cameras are wifi based so a smart plug is not going to help with your wifi range.  Also, you shouldn't have to re-pair a camera after a power bump.  If you power cycle the camera after your Iris hub and your wifi router are both back up, it should come back online.

WLY
Frequent Contributor

I am of the delusion "power cycle" reffers to unplugging then repluging the camera

Advanced Member

Yes, it does.