cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can SmartThings do what IRIS could? – focus on security

Frequent Contributor

Can SmartThings do what IRIS could? – focus on security

I need to migrate fast, but I don’t have time for research right now (as I’m sure many of us), and I don’t have experience with any other system other than IRIS.  My primary focus is on security.

Can people who have used SmartThings please answer if ST offers the security features I listed below.  Note that IRIS did all these things, and that’s why I liked it very much (still can’t believe I have to start talking about IRIS in the past……..)

I’m looking for specific facts to make an informed decision quickly, not to have a general discussion.  To keep it to the point, please contribute only if you have used SmartThings and know the answers for sure (just skip the questions you don’t know the answers for).   The questions are specific, so I would appreciate if you quote my message and just put YES/NO against each question you know the answer to, and add a comment if necessary.  Feel free to add your other comments at the end if desired.

What I consider important for a useable security system:

1. Keypad (wireless) to arm/disarm with a PIN
  2. Adjustable countdown time for arming/disarming
  3. Partial arming mode – ability to exclude any sensor from the Partial mode
  4. Ability to exclude a sensor from all arming modes (Full, Partial, etc), however get notified every time the sensor is opened/triggered
  5. If at any time the sensor disconnects or goes offline, the system will notify me. Also, how soon will I get the notification?
  6. If a sensor goes offline, or is open, and I try to arm the system, it will (1) alert me that some sensors are open or offline (2) still allow me to arm the system with those sensors bypassed
  7. Notifies if a sensor has low battery
  8. Records the history of all sensor events, with a timestamp
  9. Provides mobile app (iOS/Android) to arm/disarm, check sensor status, view history, turn on/off smart plugs
  10. Mobile app can be installed on multiple phones
  11. What kind of notifications provided when the alarm is triggered: mobile app notification, SMS, phone call, email, or multiple?
  12. Specify that 2 or more motions sensors must be triggered before alarm goes off, to prevent single motion sensor false alarms
  13. Packages all the above features in a self-monitoring plan which is free (if not free, how much?)
  14. Pro monitoring option month-to-month with no contract

Note that I did not ask for battery and cellular backup, because I have it handled separately and don’t need to rely on the hub for that.  But it would be nice to have just in case.

4 REPLIES
Tinkerer

Re: Can SmartThings do what IRIS could? – focus on security

Abode is the direct comparison. They were and are a security company, full stop. But they have a wider ecosystem of compatible hardware, direct IFTTT integration, and a better rules engine.

If you want security, Go Abode.

Frequent Contributor

There is a lot to digest here... and the answer to almost all of them is YES! That said, a couple quick notes:

• You can create custom automations with various combinations of devices (including when any or all conditions are met). 
  • We do not currently offer any keypads as part of our WWST program, but know this is important to existing Iris customers and are evaluating options. One of the cool things about SmartThings is the ability for developers to build custom integrations; there are a few keypad integrations on our community forums.
  • Month-to-month pro monitoring is available via our ADT partnership. This does require an ADT Security Panel and ADT Security sensors. You can use any WWST device with the panel, ADT sensors can be used to trigger smart home automations, but only ADT sensors can be used to activate an ADT alarm
Advanced Member

@SmartThings wrote:

There is a lot to digest here... and the answer to almost all of them is YES! That said, a couple quick notes:

• You can create custom automations with various combinations of devices (including when any or all conditions are met). 
  • We do not currently offer any keypads as part of our WWST program, but know this is important to existing Iris customers and are evaluating options. One of the cool things about SmartThings is the ability for developers to build custom integrations; there are a few keypad integrations on our community forums.
  • Month-to-month pro monitoring is available via our ADT partnership. This does require an ADT Security Panel and ADT Security sensors. You can use any WWST device with the panel, ADT sensors can be used to trigger smart home automations, but only ADT sensors can be used to activate an ADT alarm

It would be great if you would create you own DTH for the Iris Keypads v2 and v3 so they can be used when the system is offline as right now there is no way to turn off the alarm if the internet is down.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Tinkerer

KEYPADS work as designed in iris - do some digging in the forums!

https://community.smartthings.com/t/centralite-keypads/25473