cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devices suddenly started dropping from network

Frequent Contributor

Devices suddenly started dropping from network

I have a GE lightswitch and a Kwikset door lock that suddenly started dropping from the network. The lightswitch wouldn't be that big of a deal, but the door lock is a concern for sure. Anyone know if why this might happen, or how to fix it. I have replaced batteries, reset the hub, rebuilt the network, and re-paired the devices already.

Thanks in advance

12 REPLIES 12
Advanced Member

Re: Devices suddenly started dropping from network

Try air-gapping the switch to see if it reconnects after an hour or so.  Just pull out the little tab under the rocker, it slides out about 1/4" wait a moment and push it back in.  It is possible the door locks z-wave connection is through that switch so it may come back too if you can get the switch back.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Frequent Contributor

that is an interesting thought, I will try that. The switch does reconnect to the network after manually toggling the switch on or off.

Frequent Contributor

air gapping the switch seems to have helped it, but the door lock has disconnected again. Any ideas? Thanks for the advice.

Advanced Member

I don't have experience with Kwikset only Yale and Schlage but I'd suggest if the lock connects again to do a z-wave network optimization, doing that while the lock is disconnected most likely won't help but it may while it is connected.  I have had plenty of issues with Iris not knowing the status of my Yale and Schlage locks but have only ever had issues with disconnects with low batteries.  When you replaced the batteries did you use **edited** Ion batteries or normal Alkoline, I've had better luck with the **edited** Ion batteries and they last longer.  For some reason the filter doesn't like the first word in Lithiu m-ion.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I've recently started having the same issue with some of my devices. Recently on 2 occasions, my 2 water sensors disconnected from the hub, (I remove and add back and it) . Then my thermostat is showing offline but responds to commands via the app. Now some of my lights are coming on by themselves and never turning off (via rue or schedule) I've rebuilt the network on numerous occasions and the  issues persist... Any Ideas?

Tinkerer

Simply add a Smart Plug at an outlet in between the hub and the device(s) to repeat Z-wave protocal.

Frequent Contributor

I have bulbs and other ZWave devices located near these devices and since the issue is newly occuring I don'tthink this is the issue..

@Scott wrote:

Simply add a Smart Plug at an outlet in between the hub and the device(s) to repeat Z-wave protocal.

Frequent Contributor

Air gapping the switch seemed to help for most of the day, but its back to the main issue with the door lock. Ugg!

Frequent Contributor

The door lock and the light switch are less than eight feet away from each other, and used to work flawlessly. Thanks for the thought though.