cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does not require a neutral...

Frequent Contributor

Does not require a neutral...

I have a home that was built in the '70's. Some (many) of my light switches are "hot leg" only switches, where power, neutral and ground run to the device, but only a hot leg and return are run to the switch itself. In the old days (in the infancy of Z-wave) there was a switch which did not require a "neutral" connection. I have a couple of those switches in my home from "the before time, the time before Iris". They migrated into iris without a problem. They are now getting old and one has died.

Knowing that Jasco (GE) built them at one time, I went looking for them at Lowes. I found them at Lowes (on the website: https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Z-Wave-Plus-15-Amp-Single-Pole-3-Way-Wireless-White-Almond-Rocker-Indoor...) Please take a look at the specifications page and note that "Requires Neutral" is NOT checked.

I have stalked several stores withing 50 miles of my home and found that, for the most part, the store will have the place on the shelf for a
"GE Z-Wave Plus 15-Amp Single Pole 3-Way Wireless....Light Switch, Item # 829534, Model #14296", none of the stores that I have visited actually have that item on the shelf, or in the back storage. The store's computers will report that they have "5", but none of the store management can seem to find one in the store. I have been offered other similar products, but ALL of the boxes (which do not have the proper part numbers) are marked "Requires Neutral Wire". When I have been directed to other stores, I have encountered the same problem.

So I went on line and ordered the exact part that I wanted (needed) Please refer to order number 339246782 from Sept, 4, 2017. What I received (among the several items I requested), was an item marked "30878  14291". 14291 IS NOT a 14296.

First question: If you are not going to stock (or deliver) the 14926 product, why do you continue to put tags on the shelves for it and why do you continue to list it on the website?

Second question: Do you have another switch product that will work without a neutral?

Note: Three weeks ago I called customer service and reported the problem and asked the same questions noted above. They have still not gotten back to me.

Thanks for listening

Todd

6 REPLIES 6
Community Manager

Re: Does not require a neutral...

Hi Todd, we're sorry to hear about your difficulty thus far in finding the device you are looking for. We'd like to look into this further, starting with the conversation you had with our support team three weeks ago. Could you private message us your contact information and Iris hub ID number?

Thanks,

The Iris Team

Rookie

I have the same problem in my house. My house was built in the 1920's and many of the switch boxes do not have a neutral even close to them. I had also bought several of the dimmer switches that did not require a neutral. I have looked for a long time for a solution so if you find them in stock somewhere, I would love to know where: it would definitely beat hiring an electrician to run a neutral to my boxes...
Tinkerer

Whats the status on these no neutral switches Iris?

Frequent Contributor

I was asked the other day what was the status of this problem....well Iris eventually came back and reported they did not have an on-off product that would work,but they did have a dimmer product that would work without a neutral. They promissed to send one. I am still waiting.

Highlighted
Rookie

If you ever get one, please let me know what it is... I could use several more...
Frequent Contributor

No.....I never got one.