cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Door sensor

SOLVED
Frequent Contributor

Door sensor

I have Pro Monitoring and I want to use partial for night time so motion sensors don't trip the alarm. This means I have to secure all 20 or so windows downstairs with contact sensors. I'm about 3/4 of the way there. I need two door sensors but I've read the NYCE hinge sensors are kind of flimsy and my doors are heavy. When I had ADT they used contact sensors which worked well. A magnet was embedded in the top of the door and the sensor was above the moulding. Unfortunately this does not exist for Iris. Has anyone found a solution for using contact sensors with doors with moulding or even a better door sensors solution? I'm at a loss.
8 REPLIES
Tinkerer

Re: Door sensor

I have the NYCE hinge sensors on five of my exterior doors. The hinges themselves are sturdy. It's the plastic sensor insert in the middle of the hinge that flimsy. When changing the batteries I have overtightened the screws and cracked the plastic so be careful. I contacted NYCE and they sent new inserts for free. Unlike the contact sensors that use magnets, these use a screw-in pin to compress a small tab when the hinge is closed. When the tab is compressed the hinge is considered closed. When the pin decompresses, the hinge is considered open. A problem I had is that the screw-in pin was too short to compress the tab when the door was closed. I solved that by unsrewing the pin and tapping in a small nail to use to compress the tab. I haven't had any problems with them. I put the NYCE hinge in the middle spot so even if it is potentially weeker than the other two, my door is still secure. Hope this helps. 

Frequent Contributor

Okay I will order a couple of those!

Frequent Contributor

It looks like these door hinges are no longer available. I went to the website to purchase them. They are no longer available in my store or any store near me and are not available for shipping. How can I get my hands on them????

Highlighted
Tinkerer

Look on ebay. Search, "NYCE hinge sensor" and you should get lots of results. 

Tinkerer

You may already know this but they have two different sizes. 3.5" and 4" hinges. 

Frequent Contributor

Have you used them? I am seeing very mixed reviews.

Frequent Contributor

I need the satin color to match what I have and eBay only has them in 3.5" Smiley Sad

Tinkerer

I've purchased a few from eBay and never had any problems. I have the 3.5" in the bronze color on two of my french doors and it's hard to tell they are a bit smaller then the other two hinges unless you are purposefully looking. You can purchase the 4" in silver online from Lowes. You could just purchase one and see how you like it before fully investing.

https://www.irisbylowes.com/products/nyce-4-in-hinge-sensor---silver/