cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropping connection

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Dropping connection

I have posted this before about my water heater loosing connection. The switch I use is a GE Z-Wave Indoor/Outdoor Push Light Switch. ITEM # 824019 / MODEL # 12726. This is listed on the product section of Iris but doesn't come up on the pairing as this switch just as generic. Anyway Iris support helped me set it up but it drops all the dang time. I have 24 devices though out and next to this switch and beyond. I have cameras beyond that stay connected 24/7. I have a top of the line Linksys router with 2 Velop extenders (LINKSYS VELOP WHOLE HOME MESH WI-FI SYSTEM (PACK OF 2). My question is can I run the Hub out of one of the velum extenders. (They have cat 5 connectors on them as out puts. I can not move the Hub from its current location with out running through the attic. The hub is around 50 - 75 feet away from this switch, it has 2 walls and one floor. Water heater is in basement. The switch is Z-Wave I have done rebuilds every week with no luck.

3 REPLIES 3
Advanced Member

Re: Dropping connection

Do you have many GE switches or Iris Smart Plugs between the hub and the switch in question?  They will repeat the signal between the hub and switch increasing the range.  I don't have any experience with Velop mesh devices but most APs have the option of either being an AP or a wireless bridge but usually not both at the same time so you'd have to see if that device supports bridging and any other use you currently have for it.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I have 4 smart plugs in between, one next to it and one beyond. I see your point about the bridging, yes the second Velop is wireless from the first one which is direct from router and is on the same shelf as the Hub. Any other options before figuring out how to move the Hub closer.

Tinkerer

I have a small Netgear extender that I have dedicated to a Philips Hue Bridge.  I just plugged it into the ethernet port and the extender works as a wireless hotspot allowing me to place the bridge in the center of 13 Philips bulbs, some of which previously extended past the 7 meter limit of the ZLL version of Zigbee used by Philips (Zigbee is 10 meters).    Did the trick.  The Iris Hub and the Philips Hue Bridge should work the same way.  However, you may suffer with slower response times since a wireless connection is considerably slower than a wired ethernet connection directly off the modem/router. But centrally locating the hub among all of your Zigbee & Z-wave devices may improve overall communications some.  I have also made it a point to keep the WiFi extenders and Iris Smart Plugs (repeating Zigbee and Z-wave protocols) away from each other to prevent interference with each other.  Remember that some devices, and any device that is using a rule, are "cloud processed", not "local processed" (learned which ones using 'the gillion' web portal.  Iris Team, FIX IT) and will use WiFi as well as the Home Automation protocols.  A poor WiFi connection or low WiFi speed can cause delays in device response.    You have to play with it.