cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dusk to Dawn Rule overriding Motion Detection

Frequent Contributor

Dusk to Dawn Rule overriding Motion Detection

So, I have 3 porch lights, for which I've purchased the dimmable Osram 120W Flood Lamps on sale at Lowes for $9.99/ea on clearance.

I setup the lights to run from sunset to sunrise at 10% power.

I've also setup a motion sensor rule to turn on the lights to 100% power, active from dusk to dawn.

The 10% power dusk to dawn rule doesn't seem to allow the lights to go to 100% when motion is detected.

Is this a deficiency in the design of Iris, or am I doing something wrong?

7 REPLIES
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Dusk to Dawn Rule overriding Motion Detection

Unfortunately, there's no good way to do exactly what you want right now. As you've seen, the rule to turn on a switch or light when motion is detected doesn't allow you to specify the brightness. By default it will turn on a bulb to the previously set brightness, which in your case is 10% and since your lights are already on at 10%, nothing happens.

It is not a perfect work-around, but you could always consider having one of the your three porch lights set to 100% brightness, but then turned off, and have that one trigger on motion, which would turn it on at 100% while the other two remain on as they are now dusk to dawn at 10% -- so kind of combine the lights to get what you want.

Frequent Contributor

Mike;

Since you're a part of the Iris staff...  This doesn't seem like it would be that hard to rectify the programming.  When the rule is made, it should ask what pecentage to use when the motion detection is triggered.

Frequent Contributor

Hey, @WJ_Birmingham

You should suggest this in the "Feature Suggestions" section since "right now" we cant currently do this! 

Great idea!

Advanced Member

There is a feature suggestion to allow you to run a scene on motion, which would allow you to do this.  Iris for whatever reason seems unwilling to implement that.

Frequent Contributor

Well, I'm fortunate in three regards.

1.  I bought the 2nd generation Iris.

2.  2nd generation Iris is compatible with Smart Things.

3.  I got the hub for free with the $100 security pack.

So, if Iris goes belly up or doesn't proactively implement new features, I'll simply buy an $80 hub from Smart Things and say goodbye to Iris.  I liked Iris from the standpoint of $15/month for security monitoring with cellular backup (with purchase of cell modem), but I didn't expect this amount of inflexibility with something from Lowes.

Community Manager

I agree that this is a great feature suggestion and would be really useful, which I encourage you to post in the Feature Suggestions forum so people can vote on it. 

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor

Nah.  Based on what I see in the suggestion section, it's not worth the time.

The system should be a IFTTT.  Since it's not, I'll use what I can and move on when appropriate.

I was hoping, in my original post, to find out if I was doing something wrong.  That has been answered.  I'm not doing anything wrong, it's just a limitation of the system, of which the app is horrible to navigate.