cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garage Door ?????

WLY
Frequent Contributor

Garage Door ?????

This question was posted over in the features section  BUT it got me to thinking.   I have had a situation where the garage door was left up overnight and someone slipped in rummaging through the car.  Fortunatly nothing was stolen.

With the bits and pieces we have available as of 2-2017.  Is there a way to create an alert  trigger if the garage door was left open for a user determined period of time?

10 REPLIES 10
Advanced Member

Re: Garage Door ?????

Yes there is, but you would need to purchase a NYCE tilt sensor to do it, then there is a rule under Care for "Someone left the door open"

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Advanced Member

Yes there is, but you would need to purchase a NYCE tilt sensor to do it, then there is a rule under Care for "Someone left the door open" You could also do it with a spare contact sensor but it is a lot easier with the tilt sensor.

Advanced Member

You can also do it with a contact sensor  For some reason Iris decided in V2 that using the tilt sensor already on the GDO was something you should not be able to use other than to tell the GDO if it is open or closed.  You could do that in the V1 system, I should mention that in V1 to do what you wanted you had to pay an additional $4.99 I believe it was for the peronal care package.  I just wanted to be able to turn on outside lights when the garge door opened.  I could do that in V1 for V2 I had to add the contact sensor.

WLY
Frequent Contributor

Thanks a bunch

Frequent Contributor

The tilt sensor does not show up on the list for somebody left the door open.  Only my regular contacts do.

Advanced Member

You need a NYCE tilt sensor, the one that came with the garage door controller will not allow you to use it, then there is a rule under Care for "Someone left the door open" You could also do it with a spare contact sensor but it is a lot easier with the tilt sensor.

Advanced Member

https://www.lowes.com/pd/NYCE-Control-Indoor-Door-and-Window-Sensor/50053871

Advanced Member

@Terk wrote:

You need a NYCE tilt sensor, the one that came with the garage door controller will not allow you to use it, then there is a rule under Care for "Someone left the door open" You could also do it with a spare contact sensor but it is a lot easier with the tilt sensor.

It was pretty easy to put stick a contact sensor on my garage door, I can't imgine a tilt sensor could be much easier.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I use a door sensor and 3D printed two brackets..  it will send me a txt if the door is open from 11pm-5am it is also setup to churp when it opens or closes..