cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye

Frequent Contributor

Goodbye

As I sit here migrating to Smartthings I realize how good Iris is. It's really too bad they dropped the ball so bad on Hub 2.0 and never really recovered. It really is, was, superior to everything out there. I'm surprised no one bought it.

A fond farewell,

Frank

9 REPLIES 9
Tinkerer

Re: Goodbye

Frankw3-

Totally agree with you. Iris was ahead of the pack. While I came in after the V1 to V2 fiasco I must say I was more than happy with my systems. I never experienced the problems many here complained about. I always found their CS support very helpful and along with all the fellow users never had trouble resolving anything that came up. I'm just happy Lowe's did right by me. I also am powering down the last remnant of Iris as I have just unplugged my Hub with the final piece of my old system (wireless cameras) hanging in till the Hub and camera batteries die and I lose connection. I switched all my systems over to Abode. Hope everyone found a system that works for them.

Best wishes to everyone!!

Augie20 signing off!

Tinkerer

Farewell and Amen.

While I am sad to see Iris go, I'm glad to see that arcus smart home source code has been made public so not all is lost also it looks like hubitat is now supporting version one devices. Hopefully everyone has found a system they can be happy with.

I will be over on Smartthings if anyone wants to see my progress.

I will also be working on arcus to try to get my old version 1 hardware And Iris smart hub and keypad working again for a family member. I have more than enough contact sensors and cameras to provide security services for a home for a family member who is just now moving back in after recovering from hurricane Harvey.
Frequent Contributor

I'm hoping that Arcus gets some user support. I really loved Iris and nothing else seems to match it. Unfortunately I'm just not a coder and not much help on this.

Frequent Contributor

Goodbye and farewell smother sailing hope everybody gets new system whatever it might be and we will miss all of you and iris as well thanks 

Tinkerer

Goodbye, will miss everyone and IRIS as well.
Tinkerer

I’ve migrated a few things to ST and realize just how good we had it with Iris. I haven’t been able to get anything setup to do as good and perfect as I would like but do understand this is a learning process. I’ll be keeping up with this site for as long as it stays up to see what everyone else does. I know I’m sad to see Iris go but realize there are always greener pastures on the other side sometimes and have to learn to evolve to new things to be able to grow. So thank you to everyone from Iris and this community for making life a little easier and a nice place to share our insights and opinions.
Frequent Contributor

Hope you can make st work for you so far i just whent with a security system i got a ring already had ring doorbell so only one app
Tinkerer

Well, I am a bit shocked that the forum is still up, but I figure one last hurrah as it were. Goodbye all. I am over on the SmartThings forum, as well as on the livingwithiris forum on the arcus sub forum.

I offlined all of my Iris equipment over a week ago, and have it boxed up, pending the rebuild of Iris to Arcus, and will do full factory resets on the equipment then. The plan is to repurpose Arcus for a family members security / automation system.

The final state of my Iris system was..

Second generation hub, and keypad.

First generation door and window sensors on all windows, and a pair of them configured as tilt sensors on hinges on the garage doors.

Second generation door and window sensors on the front and back doors.

Second genration motion sensor in the garage because, I never knew what to do with it.

2 @ Utilitech sirens,.

5 1st generation outdoor cameras (OC821).

Honeywell Smart WiFi thermostat.

Alexa Iris skill and 2 2nd generation Echo Dots.

3rd gen Iris smart plug as Zwave repeater,a nd turns a lamp on / off in the kitchen to simulate presence...

I also had not integrated into Iris, but had working a Ring Video Doorbell 2.

Since my migraiton to SmartThings I have been able to replicate, and improve function with the reimbursement money from Lowes, except I was only able to afford 3 cameras instead of 5, the 2 zones left uncovered, access to those zones are either covered, OR would require tunneling, parachuting, or coming from my neighbors house, and climbing a narrow strip of fence to get to. And I am planning on picking up a couple of Wyze cam 2 with some weatherproof enclosures to cover these spaces. I wish I had known about the Wyze cams before I invested in Ring... 

I am over on the SmartThings forum, as well as the livingwithirus forums Arcus subforum. If you'd like to pick my brain on what I have gotten done with either platform so far, see me over there under the same user name... 

Best of luck to each and every one of you, fellow Iris users, and in no small part, the Iris team. My heart goes out to each member of the Iris team. I know there are lots of folks that don't appreciate what you did, and were trying to do. I get it, and I get the challenges. You've done a great job, and I am hopeful you can take your skills to another company and flourish there, or better yet, hang your own shingle and have a good go at it!

Tinkerer

I left my Iris V2 system connected past the deadline just to see what would happen, sadly, I lost all functions. I was hoping the alarm/sesnors would at least work locally. So sad to see Iris hub light pulse sadly without a connection..... Iris really was the best thing going IMHO especially for those with just basic security needs with some notable room for expansion if needed.