cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Boost your Cellular Backup Modems Signal Strength from One Bar to Five

How to Boost your Cellular Backup Modems Signal Strength from One Bar to Five

Using thegillions web portal, I was able to determine that my backup modem had only one bar of signal strength.  After doing some research I discovered that our modems have CRC9 antenna connections.  I ordered an antenna on Ebay for under $15 to see if it would help the situation with the expectation of very little improvement.  I figured at that cost it was worth a shot.  Well that antenna arrived today and there were a couple of surprises.  First this thing is much larger than I expected.  I had envisioned that it was maybe a couple of inches square.  Well it is six inches by six inches.  The second surprise is that after plugging it in and setting it up I was at five bars of signal strength.  Well worth the price and effort in my book.

Edit:  For whatever reason my antenna no longer works as it once did.  I guess the build quality of these devices is poor.

8 REPLIES
Frequent Contributor

Re: How to Boost your Cellular Backup Modems Signal Strength from One Bar to Five

I am on the web portal as well (not the official iris one)...how do you find the signal strength? I can't even find the modem showing up anywhere.

Re: How to Boost your Cellular Backup Modems Signal Strength from One Bar to Five

@Ctmaineah It should be on homepage 

-----------------------------------------------------------
Iris Web Portal
Frequent Contributor

Little orange bars next to the green bell?

Yes hover on the icon and it will tell you.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Iris Web Portal
Frequent Contributor

Some help please, can you give me the specs on the antenna you added.  Also where did you attach it to the hub.

Frequent Contributor

DOES NOT WORK.  Bought the same square antenna.    Confirmed it is for the same brand and type of modem.  CRC9 connectors.  Checked with customer service at Iris.  One bar before and one or no bars after. Sending back to Amazon.  Trac Phone at my home has either no or a weak signal. With Gen 1 the 3G modem worked fine, 3 bars.  HOpefully they will get a better service company.  In any case the developers should allow us to see the 4G modem and the bars. If the customer service staff can see it then they can provide it to us.  This makes sense as for sure it will reduce the calls to the center.

I have to say that my antenna no longer works as it did when I first installed it.  

Rookie

@irsancharles wrote:

DOES NOT WORK.  Bought the same square antenna.    Confirmed it is for the same brand and type of modem.  CRC9 connectors.  Checked with customer service at Iris.  One bar before and one or no bars after. Sending back to Amazon.  Trac Phone at my home has either no or a weak signal. With Gen 1 the 3G modem worked fine, 3 bars. FileZilla Malwarebytes  Rufus  HOpefully they will get a better service company.  In any case the developers should allow us to see the 4G modem and the bars. If the customer service staff can see it then they can provide it to us.  This makes sense as for sure it will reduce the calls to the center.

I have to say that my antenna no longer works as it did when I first installed it.