cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRIS OC821 outdoor camera missing weather seals.

Frequent Contributor

IRIS OC821 outdoor camera missing weather seals.

I've purchased a while ago, a half dozen Iris OC821 indoor / outdoor cameras. They came complete with the indoor mounts and wall wart power supplies. From page 2 of the manual, I am missing the following pieces. 

F. Power extension with water sealing cap.

G. Ethernet cable with water sealing cap.

While I can fabricate the pieces on my own, I was wondering if there were pre made replacements available to try to save myself some labor.

5 REPLIES

Re: IRIS OC821 outdoor camera missing weather seals.

No there is no place to get them. They are just like a boot to go over the port.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Iris Web Portal
Frequent Contributor

Okay, so I know that the silicone bottle caps fit snugly, and seal on the ethernet port, however, I am not sure what to use for the power side... 

Extending the power cable itself is really a non issue. 

I have considered using some plastic wrap, and a rubber band to creatte a sort of "form"  and making the boot itself from clear RTV silicone, inserting the plug extensions that can be easily sourced into the newly created weather seals. 

WIth my setup, which each of my cameras is going to be mounted under the soffits and more or less out of range of direct rainfall, I am just trying to protect the socket from side blown / splash type rainfall for the coastal region of Texas... 

In all honesty, I could use one less camera if they would ever get compatibility with video doorbells. While my preference would be the Ring I could go for a Swann video doorbell as well. 

Frequent Contributor

I see that Lowes has the replacement power cable for the IRIS OC830 outdoor cameras. The weatherproof boot notwithstanding, will the cable conduct the amount of power and will the male and female connectors work with the OC821?

If so, they go for $10.00, and I believe that my local Ace Hardware has compatible enough boots to make this work... Far less effort to get it completed this way if it will work...

Frequent Contributor

Okay so here is the scoop. I have picked up a bunch of silicone bottle caps. They fit perfectly over the ethernet port. The power port being significantly smaller, I simply covered the power port with saran wrap, and filled the gap in the bottle cap with clear silicone, and set that over the Saran Wrap and am currently letting them cure. 

Hopefully by this weekend, I will have at least 2 of them up and working. I have a total of 5 that need to get mounted up and used...

Frequent Contributor

So the attempts at fixing this issue with silicone sealant are failing miserably. Simply put the silicone runs out of the gap before in cure. I have been looking through my tool Box and I found some coaxial cable waterproofing sealant tape that should do the trick I forgot I had it. This stuff came from Radio Shack seriously probably 20 years ago and it still good on the role. 3M. still makes something like it.