cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introduction to SmartThings

Frequent Contributor

Re: Introduction to SmartThings

Dear ST,

Are there any plans to integrate the Energy Smart Water Heater Controller into you system.  Is far as I can tell Lowes IRIS has left us high and dry, without an alternative in managing/contolling our higher end water heaters.  I paid $1000 for what will soon be a dumb tank.  BillyBob

Tinkerer

Why should I consider smartthings as it looks like that platform may not be around very long either?

https://community.smartthings.com/t/is-smartthings-adt-dead-february-2019-lifeshield-acquisition/154...
Frequent Contributor

I don't think smartthings will be going anywhere anytime soon  They're on one of the largest, if not the largest DIY home automation community out there.   The partnership with ADT regarding their proprietary hub and sensors?  Maybe.   Smartthings as a whole?   I highly doubt.  

Tinkerer

The non ADT smartthings doesn't have a cellular failover option or a keypad / a way to get someone without a smartphone to arm / disarm the monitoring system, which is why I was looking into the ADT smartthings solution. In reviewing the comments on the smartthing community, Samsung has a reputation for abandoning hardware post haste, updating to new versions with no backwards compatibility etc... Why invest there?

@Dan87 wrote:

I don't think smartthings will be going anywhere anytime soon  They're on one of the largest, if not the largest DIY home automation community out there.   The partnership with ADT regarding their proprietary hub and sensors?  Maybe.   Smartthings as a whole?   I highly doubt.  

Tinkerer

@BigHoss wrote:

The non ADT smartthings doesn't have a cellular failover option or a keypad / a way to get someone without a smartphone to arm / disarm the monitoring system, which is why I was looking into the ADT smartthings solution. In reviewing the comments on the smartthing community, Samsung has a reputation for abandoning hardware post haste, updating to new versions with no backwards compatibility etc... Why invest there?

@Dan87 wrote:

Iris Keypads work with Smartthings FYI... 

Tinkerer

With the classic app, but to my understanding, not iwth the new Smartthings app. 

The classic app will eventually be deprecated, eventually could be next week, or in 10 years. The ambiguity is not good. 

@rlowery78 wrote:

@BigHoss wrote:

@Dan87 wrote:

Iris Keypads work with Smartthings FYI... 

Frequent Contributor

@SmartThings 

Which app should I get? I have a preinstalled app that came with my Samsung phone, can I use that one? 

Tinkerer

Do a little research on the smartthings community pages. There are two apps a new one (smartthings app) that is pre install on samsung phone and a smartthings classic app. You will need the new one to set up your hub and can do basic set up stuff, but if you want to get into custom handlers and such you will need to use the classic app.

I personally bounce back a foward, between the two apps.

The new app just had an update, so there are a few bugs in it.
Highlighted
Tinkerer

And what do you do with your custom device handlers once Samsung / Smartthings fully deprecates the classic app? How do you keep your stuff working?

For what it's worth, as of the time of this writing, it would appear the user @SmartThings  was last active here over a week ago. It looks like they came on here as Lowes announced the Iris shutdown to schill for their product line, and then bailed out. I hope I am wrong, but it sure does seem like they are putting in the absolute minimum effort to ease concerns of a large group of potential customers over their platform. Either here, or on the smartthings forum... 

@Shanapadilla wrote:
Do a little research on the smartthings community pages. There are two apps a new one (smartthings app) that is pre install on samsung phone and a smartthings classic app. You will need the new one to set up your hub and can do basic set up stuff, but if you want to get into custom handlers and such you will need to use the classic app.

I personally bounce back a foward, between the two apps.

The new app just had an update, so there are a few bugs in it.

Tinkerer

Yep crickets...

The more and more I look around at the home automation and DIY security market the more disgusted I am with the various vendors. 

The industry despeartely needs standardization, when one vendor goes toes up, like Iris is doing, we end up having to scrap our entire system and start over? Nobody sees a problem with this? 

Anyone that knows anything about the computing industry of the 1980s can tell you, vendor lock in / proprietary protocols do nothing but enrich a company for the VERY short term until consumers get fed up with it and bail off of your platform entirely. When was the last time you used say an Atari or Commodore computer? 

So Iris fails due to management level decisions, and we all sheepishly head on over to Smartthings, but smartthings, at least ADT Smartthings which is as close feature set wise to the Iris many of us have come to love and rely on, is sending out MANY of the same signals of impending platform / business failure as Iris did.  So what? Securifi? I don't think so, a company that sells "security" systems that can't be bothered with the simplest of data security measures, encryption, and when they DO update to include encryption, existing customers are required to buy new hardware to get the actual security that should have been included with their initial purchase. Then there is Ring Security, which is limited to security only, with no automation integration, then lighting or third party sirens etc.... can not be triggered by security events, and is only good long enough that Amazon is interested in supporting Ring...

I could go on and on, but hopefully you get the idea. Without standardization we as consumers keep getting stuck with platforms that are likely to fail with little, to no support on the far side of our purchase.