cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introduction to SmartThings

Frequent Contributor

Introduction to SmartThings

Hi Everyone,

We loved working with Iris over the past few years and are sad to see them go. We know that many of you are looking for a new smart home platform - and hope you choose SmartThings to add a little smartness to your home!

Most of your Z-Wave and Zigbee devices already work with SmartThings. We are working closely with the Iris team to integrate many of the remaining devices into SmartThings. All you need to get started is the SmartThings app and a Hub (available at Lowes.com, Samsung.com, or various other retailers).

If you have a SmartThings Hub and need help transferring devices to SmartThings or setting up Automations (our version of Rules), do not hesitate to visit our community, call us at 1800-SAMSUNG, or email support@smartthings.com.

We hope to see you soon!

SmartThings Team

28 REPLIES 28
Frequent Contributor

Re: Introduction to SmartThings

Thanks!  Been on hold with Samsung for over 30 min now and still waiting.  Trying to find out ; A) Iris sensors are compatible with the SmartThings Hub?   B) Monitoring-we were using the IRIS Pro Monitoring.  I see that SmartThings has partnered with ADT.  Are the IRIS devices compatilbe with the SmartThings ADT Hub?

Probably have more questions but that helps for now.

Frequent Contributor

Kk so now I am just about an hour on hold.  So, I need to hang up and it would be great if you could respond and let me know how to connect with a SmartThings Agent that can help with the switch.

Thanks in advance.

Frequent Contributor

Many of the Iris sensors can connect to an SmartThings ADT Security Hub and be used for home automation, triggering sirens, etc. However, only ADT Security devices can be used to trigger a home security event (e.g., ADT phone call, police dispatch). 

Here are some more FAQs on the ADT Security Hub: https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005074883-ADT-Security-Hub-FAQ

Frequent Contributor

Hello, does smart things offer a package like iris’ free plan that will send me notifications on if a door is open or motion activated? I do not need professional monitoring or police dispatch. I just want to keep tabs on if there is someone in my shed or outdoor storage compartments. Would this be capable with the standard smart things hub?

If I have to or choose to go with the ADT hub, do I have to subscribe to professional monitoring or can I use it stand alone in home without monitoring?

Thank you for your DETAILED response.
Frequent Contributor

@SmartThings :  please reply to the post below and answer my questions about specific SmartThings security features that IRIS users are looking for.  It will help us greatly:

https://community.irisbylowes.com/t5/Solutions-Projects-How-To-and/Can-SmartThings-do-what-IRIS-coul...

Frequent Contributor

Yes! You can have push notifications if a door is open, motion is detected, etc. without a subscription. We have a custom Automation builder (kind of like Rules) where you can include notifications as part of the Then.

Frequent Contributor

Just saw this... there is not a direct migration tool. You will need to get a SmartThings Hub (my favorites are the WiFi or 2018 models) and manually start reconnecting your devices. Many of the Iris devices are Z-Wave, so they will need to be excluded before you can connect them to your SmartThings Hub.

We are a bit behind on support coming out of the holidays and learning about this transition, but feel free to try us again (or post on community.smartthings.com) if you need any assistance.

Frequent Contributor

Just saw this... there is not a direct migration tool. You will need to get a SmartThings Hub (my favorites are the WiFi or 2018 models) and manually start reconnecting your devices. Many of the Iris devices are Z-Wave, so they will need to be excluded before you can connect them to your SmartThings Hub.

We are a bit behind on support coming out of the holidays and learning about this transition, but feel free to try us again (or post on community.smartthings.com) if you need any assistance.

Advanced Member

@SmartThings wrote:

Yes! You can have push notifications if a door is open, motion is detected, etc. without a subscription. We have a custom Automation builder (kind of like Rules) where you can include notifications as part of the Then.

Are you refering to WebCoRE or do you have your own now?

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet