Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iris Wi-Fi Smart Switch

SOLVED
Highlighted
Operations Director

Iris Wi-Fi Smart Switch

smartswitch - Web.jpg

We would love to hear some of the creative ways you are using the new Iris Wi-Fi Smart Switch. Also, any feedback/suggestions related to your experience with the product would be appreciated as we seek to make it even better in the future. 

19 REPLIES 19
Advanced Member

Re: Iris Wi-Fi Smart Switch

I have one connected to my shop refrigerator so I can defrost remotely.  It is in a detached shop, and not accessed everyday.  I have another connected to a freezer in my garage for the same purpose.  I haven't cycled that one yet as the items in there are more important than the drinks in my shop fridge.  I had another connected to a bar refrigerator for the same purpose, but the outlet is on the floor and the smart plug would not stay connected.  It is about 12 feet from the router, but right at ground level.  I assume this to be a router issue, not an Iris issue.  I have one more waiting for a legitimate purpose to be deployed...

I use it to remotely reboot my hub when it would otherwise require a 2 second button reboot. It's great since it still works even when the hub is acting up.
Tinkerer

I'm considering moving my  wifi switch to my church, (after I take down my christmas tree) where I sometimes leave my guitar amp on after a service. As it doesn't require a connection to the hub, I am assuming it would work just fine on a different wifi network. 

I have one in my pump house on my well water pump. This has worked great! I can set an alert to let me know every time my pump kicks on so I can see how often and when this is happening for troubleshooting purposes. Also, once energy usage tracking starts working again (hint, hint) I will again be able to monitor how much energy my pump has been using over the week or month. I can remotely turn off/on my water if I suspect a leak at the house.

I do wish (and I hope the fine people at IRIS are listening here) that there was a rule that would turn off a device that has been "running" (actually using energy) for a specific amount of time. This would be very useful on my well pump if for some reason (leak in my sprinkler system, or leak in the pump house, or the pressure switch goes haywire and decides not to shut off the pump) it doesn't shut off after say 45 minutes. I would think this would be a fairly easy add? Just make it toggle the device off after it sees more than a specified energy threshold for a specific time.

@cobra427cable wrote:

I have one in my pump house on my well water pump. This has worked great! I can set an alert to let me know every time my pump kicks on so I can see how often and when this is happening for troubleshooting purposes. Also, once energy usage tracking starts working again (hint, hint) I will again be able to monitor how much energy my pump has been using over the week or month. I can remotely turn off/on my water if I suspect a leak at the house.

I do wish (and I hope the fine people at IRIS are listening here) that there was a rule that would turn off a device that has been "running" (actually using energy) for a specific amount of time. This would be very useful on my well pump if for some reason (leak in my sprinkler system, or leak in the pump house, or the pressure switch goes haywire and decides not to shut off the pump) it doesn't shut off after say 45 minutes. I would think this would be a fairly easy add? Just make it toggle the device off after it sees more than a specified energy threshold for a specific time.

Ask for this in the feature request section if you haven't already.

@cobra427cable wrote:

The Wi-Fi switch does not have the hardware or software to read power levels. To do this you would need a smart plug. 

-----------------------------------------------------------
Iris Web Portal
Don
Rookie

I have two WiFi cameras that keep going offline. I plugged the cameras in a smart plug and now I can reset them by turning the plugs off and back on. I love this because I can be in another state and reboot my cameras.
Rookie

I have a cabin in Arkansas with four indoor cameras. I monitor the property remotely from my other home in Texas. The power goes our fairly often in the winter and disconnects my cameras from the hub. I usually had to wait until my next visit to reconnect the cameras to the hub. I bought a wifi smart switch, connected it to my camera. I can now reboot my cameras so that the hub finds them and reconnects to the hub.

Frequent Contributor

I have dehumidifier connected, and I can monitor humidity on the thermostat and turn on the switch to turn on the dehumidifier if its too high. Would be nice to automate that. Already sugested that (Rule Builder)