cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iris is been by returned! Enough is enough!

Tinkerer

Re: Iris is been by returned! Enough is enough!

“Enough said”....laughable! There are plenty of reputable articles out there. Obviously you’re an advocate of Iris even when you tell me it has its issues. When was the last time all your sensors went to offline?
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

87 devices here, all on line.  Occasionally drop a distant device, but overall very good experience.

Tinkerer

I got what, 10 devices? All within optimal range. This shouldn’t happen. Do you have other devices on top of your Iris if Iris goes offline? You sure you have had a few distant sensor/devices go offline ever? For people like me, Iris is/was the only security for my home, family and kids. So when my alarm couldn’t arm for 7 hours because everything is offline...that’s is an issue. No notifications..nothing. Website says it will notify in 24-hours if sensirs go offline. That’s poor!
Tinkerer

@Zone23wrote:
I got what, 10 devices? All within optimal range. This shouldn’t happen. Do you have other devices on top of your Iris if Iris goes offline? You sure you have had a few distant sensor/devices go offline ever? For people like me, Iris is/was the only security for my home, family and kids. So when my alarm couldn’t arm for 7 hours because everything is offline...that’s is an issue. No notifications..nothing. Website says it will notify in 24-hours if sensirs go offline. That’s poor!

I have no problems either with any of my devices.  The only issue I have is that I have to press the On button twice when I'm the last person leaving, or wait for my motion to stop before pressing the On button.  I had the exact same problem with my first alarm system, wired and professional installed.  It appears that these systems with motion detectors need movement to stop before being able to set the alarm.  SimpliSafe also has idiosyncrasies in setting their alarm. 

My question to you is, can you find your Iris hub as being active on your router?  On my XFinity modem/router I can actually see the Iris hub ethernet connection, find the IP address.  I can ping the IP address to confirm connection as well.

Right now I'm running parallel with Iris and SS until I'm comfortable enough to end the pro monitoring with SS and go with Iris pro monitoring.

Tinkerer

Stink,

Yes. Iris is active on my router. I wouldn’t do Simplisafe based on what you pay just to use their phone app. Ring has self monitoring or $10/month for pro Monitoring once it comes out in the spring. My sister has Simplisafe and ring cameras and she has zero issues with it. I have zero issues with my Ring as well. It’s been almost a year since I had Ring. It’s been 15 months for her with both Simplisafe and Ring.
Tinkerer

According to this  LINK, it does not police calling.  I want my security system to call police directly if I'm not home if they can't get a hold of me.  I can't guarantee that I'm looking at my phone or email if I'm on vacation, mostly likely I'm not.   Ring does not offer true pro monitoring like Iris, SimpleiSafe, ADT, etc.  No company is going to do that for $10 a month.

Quoting the link -->"Monitoring: You can shell out $100 a year (or $10 a month) hooks you in to Ring's "Protect Plus" plan, which gives full playback and sharing from all of your Ring devices, lifetime warranty, and discounts on future devices. Ring Alarm also will have a battery backup and cellular LTE backup option, should your Wifi go out."

Tinkerer

Per Rings website and online chat, they do have 24/7 monitoring and will call authorities as well just like Iris, ADT, Simplisafe etc. I have also called their sales and support divisions as well and asked and been asking them since October of 2017, since I was in line to get what was called “Ring Protect” Alarm system before they went to lawsuit with ADT and settled. It is now called Ring Alarm System. When my Iris alarm went off (false alarm), Iris called and asked if everything is ok then asked for my security code. I anticipate that with Ring. Here’s a good look of another article too.
https://homealarmreport.com/abode-vs-nest-secure-vs-ring-protect/

Tinkerer

@Zone23wrote:
Per Rings website and online chat, they do have 24/7 monitoring and will call authorities as well just like Iris, ADT, Simplisafe etc. I have also called their sales and support divisions as well and asked and been asking them since October of 2017, since I was in line to get what was called “Ring Protect” Alarm system before they went to lawsuit with ADT and settled. It is now called Ring Alarm System. When my Iris alarm went off (false alarm), Iris called and asked if everything is ok then asked for my security code. I anticipate that with Ring. Here’s a good look of another article too.
https://homealarmreport.com/abode-vs-nest-secure-vs-ring-protect/

OK, I looked at the site you provided.  It's very confusing but I believe that they charge $10/month for the pro monitoring AND $10/month for cellular backup, which is mandatory.  The cellular service provided alone is near $10 of value and I find it hard to believe that they would provide both for just $10  a month.  I could be wrong about that but I doubt it. They may get a lot of business if I am wrong and/or other competitors will take note and charge less.

The article is written with lots of, what I believe to be, purposely confusing wording.  That could be because pricing is still not set in stone.  I went to a chat through the website but no response was available yet.  I asked if an insurance certificate was providing.  But I sat there with no response at all.

It's way too early for me to make a change to an unknown product, of which I have no reason to go to at this time.  That said, as a consumer I enjoy competition in the marketplace to keep everyone on their toes (so to speak).  I wish the cable TV industry and ISP industry had more competition but that is not the case right now.

Tinkerer

Yeah I hear ya. Just like when I talked to Iris rep, and asked if 4g comes with premium service, they said no. You had to combine both premium $9.99 and and 4g $7.99 which costs more than Pro Monitoring at $14.95. I asked Ring too if Pro Monitoring and 3g would be both put together to be $20 month. They told me no both in chat and on the phone that it’s all under one umbrella at $10 which Pro Monitoring and 3g will be together at one price. I really don’t mind paying a bit extra since I came from a alarm system that was hard wired which was $40 plus a month. That’s why Abode is intriguing because that is a VERY GOOD system. A lot of my neighbors have that and it’s worth the investment they told me. It already had paid off. A few have Scout in my neighborhood but if I just want to self monitor, you have to pay $9.99 of the bat. When I was on SmartThings I was going to try the $19.99 full monitoring, but never did. I was using it like you with your systems for 4 months (how you have SS and Iris running together). I’m willing to bank on Ring. I have their products and it works so well for me. Neighborhood watch function helps a lot and I have had conversations with people through my doorbell while I was out running errands.
I wish also there was competition with cable. The Sling TV, Sony Vue, Hulu TV, YouTube and Direct TV has come a long way. Haven’t jumpers ship because I’m a big college and NBA basketball fan and waiting on local channels.
Advanced Member

I'm sure I've read others testing offline usability and they said you cannot arm the system with the Internet down.  This seems very strange to me since your system will supposedly work if the Internet goes down while armed but will not let you arm it?  The keypads and presence sensors should be local devices and should be able to arm the system, I can understand the mobile/web app not being able to although even the mobile app should be able to be designed to be able to communicate directly to the hub in the even the Internet is down as long as your internal WiFi and hub are still online.

That said, it sounds like some of your issues with the system are network related (Friday the app wouldn't connect to your hub and your saying you've run into a few issues arming with the Internet being down).  My Internet is rarely ever down luckily so I haven't fully tested all of the inabilities of the system when it is.  I had the 4g when it first became available and did some testing then and realized it couldn't be used when the hub was running off it's battery backup so I dropped the 4g service although they supposedly have fixed that issue since then.

I have a couple of Ring cameras and they have had their own issues like the last 6 months or so of little to no night-time motion detection (works fine during the day), so I'd be cautious of jumping into their new alarm system too early.

I've heard good things about Abode but only from one or two people and they said it was a good alarm system but not a very flexible home automation system so it all depends on peoples primary reason for having the system.

I have SmartThings as well mainly for the flexible rules, IFTTT, and geofencing features, and while you always know the system is down when since they send emails wheather it is just your hub or their service, their service is down way too frequently lately and even though it is almost all supposed to work offline now it doesn't seem to work when their service is having issues and your internet is still online (a few weeks ago I came home after work and my presence didn't update since their service was having issues so when I opened my garage door the door from the garage to the house locked like it is supposed to do when the garage door opens with the system armed however when I entered my code into the lock and entered the house the alarm should have gone off and lights should have come on but nothin happened.  When their service finally cam back online about 11:40pm that night I went into the app and it was showing the alarm was activated and still flashing red).

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet