cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iris is done. Arcus is coming. What to do?

Tinkerer

Iris is done. Arcus is coming. What to do?

So I have shut down and removed all traces of Iris, even so far as removing the app from my phone.

I am 100 % on ADT Smartthings / Ring based system and am moving forward with what I was wanting to do with Iris on the SmartThings system.

There are a couple of items that Iris did, that SmartThings doesn't do out of the box, however, Alexa covers that for me, which is the glass break sensing. Working on trying to figure out how to tie in Alexa Guard with SmartThings. ADT covers Alexa Guard with ADT Pulse, honestly I am hoping they will pull it into ADT SmartThings...

But Arcus is coming, and I don't want the Iris hardware to go to waste.

The equipment I have that didn't carry over to Smartthings is...

Second generation Smart Hub.

Second Genration Keypad.

17 first generation contact sensors

4 first generation outdoor cameras.

I am pretty sure I know what I am going to do, but here's my dilema. I have an upcoming workshop shed project that will need security monitoring. I can either implement Arcus once it is ready, or simply extend ADT SmartThings to it.  There will be 2 doors, and 4 windows to protect. The windows will be hurricane rated so the type you can take a sledge hammer to and not break (required by code here due to being in hurricane evacuation zone A).

I have a family member that has been out of their home since Hurricane Harvey and is about to move back in. I am giving serious thought, to once Arcus is done and ready for prime time, setting it up on my Iris hardware, and getting them set up for security and automation.

Would it be a good idea to rehome Iris / Arcus? I think so, but I want to be sure...

4 REPLIES 4
Frequent Contributor

Re: Iris is done. Arcus is coming. What to do?

I found a SmartThings hub pretty cheap ($60 or so for their v3 hub).  It does most z-wave and zigbee 1.2 but not the old zigbee 1.0 stuff.

On SmartThings, for not easily supporting things like glass break sensors, NYCE sensors, and keypad, there is information in their community forum, but it does take some digging and being willing to add user drivers and virtual devices to get things to work.  Not as easy (for me) as Iris, but hey, it is what is there.

I expect someone will hack together a server for Arcus, that can either be run on your own network (my preference) or on a cloud service (prbably for a fee).  I really don't have any word of knowlege here.

Tinkerer

I would love to see Arcus active very soon as I have different upcoming projects in the works. I’ve setup ring for security but need something that is compatible for HA. I’m not willing to convert to ST or ADT. Keep us updated please.
Tinkerer

Keep watching http://forum.livingwithiris.com/forum/62-arcus/ for updates. Looks like TheGillion is working on something. Not sure his relationship to Iris, but I suspect he's pending layoff right now as it were.... 

It would be pretty awesome if Arcus would be able to run locally, even if I had to set up a Raspberry Pi as a local application server, and send notifications out using something like Google Voice... 

Not sure how succesful selling a cloud based service for a now defunct platform would be. How many of us out there are going to try to eke along the first generation hardware after all? Not exactly a promising business model. However as an extensible framework, Arcus might just provide the platform the industry needs to open up and radically improve interoperability...

Frequent Contributor