cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowes IRIS ENERGY SMART WTR HTR CONTROLLER Item #: 612026 | Model #: 6911211

SOLVED
Frequent Contributor

Lowes IRIS ENERGY SMART WTR HTR CONTROLLER Item #: 612026 | Model #: 6911211

It appears that the subject contoller may be replaced with the Kenmore 58000 Smart Electric Water Heater Module, Sears Item # 04258000000.  It works with the Kenmore Smart app.  I have the module on order and read that others have been suceesful in switching frm IRIS to Kenmore and retain control over the water heater.  As a side note it does not appear that the IRIS controller will work with the Kenmore Smart App.  Once I receive and install the Kenmore Module I will update this topic  BillyBob

PS: I have verified that the same PCB Control board is used in both the Lowes sold AO Smith water heater (HP10-50H450V) and the Kenmore Elite branded water heater (5920).

PSS: Sears sells the part for $70 but search eBay and find many for less than $20.  Also, The Kenmore app will not work on my tablet but does work on my android phone.  Also it appears the app has greatter functionality than IRIS.

Culd be a blessing in disguise...BB 

12 REPLIES 12
Frequent Contributor

Re: Lowes IRIS ENERGY SMART WTR HTR CONTROLLER Item #: 612026 | Model #: 6911211

what water heater do you have, i just ordered this iris adapter and the day it arrived is the day they announced they were axing iris, im a little mad to say the least.

i almost bought that kenmore one to use on my whirlpool water heater, but i couldnt figure out if it would work

Frequent Contributor

Re: Lowes IRIS ENERGY SMART WTR HTR CONTROLLER Item #: 612026 | Model #: 6911211

Lunchbox,

Reread my post. Have the Lowes sold AO Smith water heater (HP10-50H450V)  and will be replacing the Lowes Iris controller with the Sears Kenmore Smart Module and use the Kenmore Smart App on my cell phone. BillyBob

Frequent Contributor

sorry it was late when i read over that. i have a whirlpool es50r92-45d.

how did you verify that yours uses the same pcb as the kenmore, id like to try to verify that myself for mine.

i got this iris thing set up and im not too impressed with it. i mainly want to know how much hot water i have left, and it doesnt tell you the actual temp. nor does it seem to give alerts when its back up to temp (i still have to play with it) and it doesnt seem to work with alexa.

i hold out some hope that when they make the software open source, someone will make it better, but i have to wonder if the hardware supports what i want it to do in the first place. the kenmore adapter seems to be a better option.

do you know when you will get yours? im excited to hear your thoughts on it.

thanks.

Frequent Contributor

LunchBox,

Check out https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/es50r9245d/1198/1081000.html for your water heater.

It does not appear that you have a PCB in this unit as it looks like a regular water heater and not a hybrid water heater with heat pump and multiple functionality.  But with that said if your unit works on some level with the IRIS Water Heater Controller then it would be worth some investigation.  Here is the info on the Kenmore Smart Controller, https://i.sears.com/s/d/pdf/mp-tc/10009161/prod_2062266212  An important thing to remember is the Sears and Kenmore are branding companies and not manufacturers.  All their water heaters are from some other company and the key is to convert their model number into the actual manufacterer's information and vice a versa.  So look on page 4 of the document and it lists some of the water heatrs it works with.  So I gt online with Sears Parts and they say the Kenmore SMart Module is compatible with yur Whirlpool water heater.  My recommendation is you search Kenmore 58000 on eBay and buy a new one for $20 and trying.  BillyBob  

Frequent Contributor

LunchBox, 

It appears that your Whirlpool ES50R92-45D is very similar to Kenmore 153582500.  I bet the Kenmore Smart Module 58000 will work.  BillyBob

Frequent Contributor

well i ordered one on ebay so we shall see. i found mention of someone else using the kenmore unit on an AO smith water heater, so i hope yours works.

from what ive read online there are pretty much 2 companies in the US that make water heaters, so AO smith, Whirlpool, and Kenmore are probably all the same, so hopefully it works for me as well.

thanks for all the help.

Frequent Contributor

Hi LunchBox,

I received the Kenmore Smart Module and it would not connect to my WiFi.  I suspect I received a defective item.  The seller did refund me and I have another on order.  Any progress on your end?  BillyBob

Frequent Contributor

i just got done messing with it. it plugs in, powers on, and the app seemingly allows me to connect it to my network (i get a solid blue light) but when i try to click on the water heater in the app, it crashes. my water heater doesnt let me turn on the "grid enabled" button. it just flashes a couple times and turns off, which is what it does while the lowes adapter isnt done booting up.

i took them both apart, there are some differences, but they look very similar. the lowes one even has the plug for the leak sensor on the board. the lowes one says on the circuit board "AOS_IRIS_LOWES" or something like that, the kenmore one says AOS_SEARS_(something that started with "A")

i wonder if the AOS means AO Smith.

anyway, i may have just wasted $20, i might have to wait for them to release the source code for iris and hope for the best.

Frequent Contributor

LB, Well you got farther than I did. Could never get a solid blue light.  Have another in order and will see if I have better luck.  More to follow once received.  BillyBob