cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not enough ports

Frequent Contributor

Not enough ports

I am currently running a Verizon wi-fi hot spot connected to their 4g LTE network for broadband.  I have it on a UPS and I have my IRIS 2.X Hub hard cabled to an ethernet port on the back of the wi-fi as well as on the UPS.  I also have 10 IRIS cameras currently hanging off of it and find I am out of wireless network ports on this device.  My problem is that I have several more cameras I need to add as well as my smart phone, tablet, laptop and desktop PC to connect wirelessly to this network. 

My question is what device(s) should I consider acquiring in order to further expand my wireless home network in order to support all of the devices I need to run?  Any suggestions ? ? ?  Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager

Re: Not enough ports

An unmanaged switch like this one

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-16-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B01AX8XHRQ/

Should work to expand your network.

Frequent Contributor

I need more WIRELESS ports, not hardwired twisted pair wired ports.  I think the appropriat term is I need more SSIDs.  i recently acquired a EnGenius ECB1750 Dual Band Wireless AC 1750 Indoor Access Point / Client Bridge and hope that will address the issue.  Feel free to take another run at it though.

Community Manager

If you want to expand your wireless network, you really have two choices - add an extender to your existing wireless network or invest in one of the new expandable consumer mesh network systems that have come out in the past couple years (Ubiquiti and Velop, to name two examples)

-Mike