cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible interference

SOLVED
Tinkerer

Possible interference

I have a GE Z-wave switch in the kitchen to control a florescent light over the sink.  It has been installed for about 3 months.  It has probably dropped of the network and required re-pairing on the average of every couple weeks, one time in less than 12 hours.  That one prompted me to replace it with a new one. However, the new one also disconnected in 5 or 6 days.  It then occured to me that there is a wireless telepone base (not just a phone in an AC charger) sitting on the counter about 2 feet away from the switch and is almost in line with the switch, a Smart Plug in the same room (unobscured line of sight) and the Hub in another room.  Possible cause for the chronic disconnecting??  Currently, the phone is down off of the counter and is maybe 6 feet away from the switch (the penninsula is now an obstruction to the line of sight).  It has only been 4 days, but no problem yet.  However, a GE Z-wave outlet on the opposite side of the sink, maybe 5 feet from the usual location of the phone and further from stated Smart Plug and Hub, does not fail.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Advanced Member

Re: Possible interference

Z-wave operates on 908.42 MHz so there is a possibility it might interfere with a 900 MHz cordless phone.

Tinkerer

No good.  It failed again after about 5 days.  The wireless phone base has been down below the penninsula and 5 or 6 feet away from the failing switch the entire time.  I have no experience with the Zigbee version of any of the GE devices that have a Zigbee version.   Any reason to think the Zigbee protocol might work better in an area that obviously is not stable with two different Z-wave version switches?  Should I consider changing, perhaps because of a different frequency range involved?

LATER  I have just done some research and have confirmed the frequency ranges mentioned above.  Zigbee works in the 2.4Gb range.  While that is Wi-Fi/Bluetooth  territory, it isn't cordless telephone territory.  I think I will give the Zigbee version GE switch a try.  Got nothing to lose. 

OK, now using the Zigbee version of the GE Switch.  Only drawback so far is the fact that the Zigbee version only comes in the decorator style with the paddle, not the toggle style.  But both beige and white paddles are supplied so the switch is again the same color as the (but new and sold separately) wallplate.   Stay tuned.

Tinkerer

It has made it to 10 days and is working flawlessly.  The cordless telephone has been on the pennisula counter in its regular space within 2 ft of the switch.  The Z-Wave switch is now in an outdoor weatherproof box with a motion sensor controlling a halogen light over the wood pile, also working fine.  Just in time for fire pit season. While the Zigbee swtch is apparently not available in the toggle style, one nice feature it has over the Z-Wave version is the reporting of power consumption.  I like that despite it costing $5.00 more than the Z-Wave switch.  But this looks like a solve.