cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power outage: Hub doesn't turn back on when power restored??

Frequent Contributor

Power outage: Hub doesn't turn back on when power restored??

I just had the first power outage with my IRIS.  After the batteries ran out, the hub shut down.  So I went ahead and replaced the batteries.  However, the hub did not turn on.  I thought it was not right, but I decided to just plug it back in and wait for the main power to come back before further troubleshooting.  However - when the power came back on, the Hub did not turn on again….  So I browsed the support article and read this:

Question: My hub went offline after a power outage, and now it is nonresponsive.
Answer: Press the red reset button on the back of the hub for no more than 3 seconds. Once the hub has restarted, wait a few minutes and then try controlling your Iris devices from the Iris by Lowe’s app.

I followed the instruction, and the hub turned back on.

But, I’m concerned now.  Have anyone else observed this behavior?  

Please tell me it’s not by design that once the Hub shuts down, it does not wake up automatically when the power is restored, and has to be manually reset to turn back on.  If you go on vacation that would mean that a single extended power outage will shut down your system for the rest of the time that you're away…???

5 REPLIES
Tinkerer

Re: Power outage: Hub doesn't turn back on when power restored??

I use an Avi-on bluetooth plug to cut power to my hubs.  Every time I turn it back on, my hub comes back on.  I've never had it fail. 

Frequent Contributor

But have you tried to make it run on battries until shutdown, then restore power?

Tinkerer

No.  I can try that when I get home tonight though.

I run my hub without batteries because if I lose power, my modem and internet are out anyway.  I only have them set on Avi-on switches so I can reboot them without having to pull a cabinet or crawl on the ground.

I'll post my results later tonight.

Advanced Member

I have let it run on batteries until they died before but have never tried putting new batteries in before the power came back on.  Maybe that is the difference?  I've never seen my hub not come back after a power failure either.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Terk: sorry it took me awhile to follow up.  You were correct.  The hub comes back online properly after depleting the batteries and when the power comes back on.  So I'm canceling my alarm on IRIS, pun intended.  The issue was indeed with me trying to replace the dead batteries.  If you do that, it will not come back online on the new batteries, and will not even come back online after the power is restored.  It looks like IRIS is really finicky with batteries in general, which is really not a good thing.