Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper way to set up a rule with a schedule

SOLVED
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Proper way to set up a rule with a schedule

I noticed someone else has this same issue but, they just confused the HECK out of me, so here's what I want to do.. Turn on the light and record video between Sunset and 5:30am, this seems pretty simple to me but the light comes on at all times of the day. 

Once motion is detected between SUNSET and 5:30AM

1. Turn on the light for 1 minute

2. Record Video for 1 minute

3. Scheduled: between Sunset and 5:30am 

Box is CHECKED in rules to activate it.

Am I over thinking this or was the engineering poorly exectuted?

The example in picture states..

1. Camera detects motion

2. Turn on Light  for 2 minutes

3. Scheduled: between Sunset and 5:30am 

AGAIN rule is checked (to make active correct?)

Anything, Anybody...

RULES.JPG

10 REPLIES 10
Advanced Member

Re: Proper way to set up a rule with a schedule

The rule you created will turn on the light but it will not record video, that would need to be a separate rule.  I assume you know that but I just thought I would mention it.  Also the box should only be checked between Sunset and 5:30AM.  At 5:30AM the check will be removed automatically.  If you manually check the box anytime from 5:30AM to sunset the light will start coming on when motion is detected. 

For example if you created the rule at 3:00PM, the rule will be activate.  So the light will start coming on via motion as soon as you save the rule.  It will automatically deactivate itself, uncheck, at 5:30AM and then start functioning as you expect.  You could manually uncheck the rule which will deactivate it and then it will re-activate itself, check, at sunset.

Tinkerer

My way of thinking about about it is: if checked, than it will turn on the rule regardless of the actual time. I used the check mark to test rule to make sure motion sensors and such are placed right and working.
Frequent Contributor

OK So just creating and saving the rule makes it active and it will activate based on the scedule and checking the box MANUALLY starts the rule...  

Thanks a million, 

Frequent Contributor

Who'da thought.

What a non-intuitve way to set up rules that are on a schedule.  To me the checkbox should mean that the rule is "active" in the sense that IRIS will skip over any unchecked rule, regardless of the time schedule.  Otherwise if checked, IRIS should attempt to run the rule, based on the scheduling parameters.

That's the problem with a lot of the IRIS features, there is no good documentation, easily found, to give you a tutorial before you want to perform a new task.  In defense of IRIS, though, this is a common problem in the software industry.  Documentation is always produced LAST after the release of the product.  The programmers get how things work, so just assume everyone else will too.  I can say this because I came from that environment in my working career, and appreciated it from both sides - the programmer and the customer advocate.

Frequent Contributor

PS  this thread helped my solve my problem.  I wanted a rule to send me a notification is a garage door was open after 11 PM.  

• The rule says  Whent CT03 Garage Door is open for 1 min, then send cschaeff a message with Push Notification.
  • The schedule parameters say active at 11:00 PM, inactive at midnight.  

But with the box checked in the rule management list, the message triggers one minute after the door is opened during the day.   I will test it after 11PM tonight.

Tinkerer

Do you have it set for every day . Repeat on should say always. I've forgotten to do that before.

I get what your saying. I also have a rule were a motion will turn on a light in my bathroom, but the scheduling does not work, and I was told can not have a motion and scheduling on same rule. Then why give the option to. Hope they fix

Advanced Member

I have several sceduled motion rules and they are all working as expected.

Advanced Member

Any rule you set up can be scheduled.