cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REPLACE IRIS ENERGY SMART WTR HTR CONTROLLER 6911211 WITH KENMORE SMART MODULE 58000

Frequent Contributor

REPLACE IRIS ENERGY SMART WTR HTR CONTROLLER 6911211 WITH KENMORE SMART MODULE 58000

Those who have the Iris Smart Water Heater Controller 6911211 will be interested in how to replace thier module.  Below I've outline the steps I went through to migrate from the IRIS module to a compatible Kenmore Smmart Module 58000.  (Note: Compatible with the Water Heater not the IRIS App)

Ther is a list in the Kenmore documentation in the Preparation section the lists the Sears / Kenmore models that will work with the Kenmore Smart Module 58000.  The link to the module documentation is http://i.sears.com/s/d/pdf/mp-tc/10009161/prod_2062266212 although one comes with the module. Read through it.

Remember that Sears / Kenmore is a branding company so let's assume that if your Water Heater worked with the Iris module it will be compatible with the Kenmore Smart Module.

1.  Acquire a Kenmore Smart Module 58000 (Suggest eBay or you may order on via Sears for twice as much.  I bought a new one for less than $20 via eBay)

2.  Establish an online account with Sears with a login and password (if you otherwise don't already have one)

3.  On your Smart Phone (IOS or Apple) install the Kenmore Smart app

4.  Install the Kenmore Smart Module in place of the Iris module but do not screw it in yet.  (Now the tricky part...)

5.  On a WiFi enabled computer (Desktop or Laptop) connect to  "Kenmore_xx".  This should be done within 2 minutes of installing the module.

6.  Open a browser and go to the IP address of your WiFi router (192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 or whatever.  A screen should appear the shows your WiFi SSID and encrypted password.  Click Connect and type in your WiFi password.  This process is what allows your router to connect / communicate with the module (and is unlike the process used for Iris)

7.  Open the Kenmore Smart app and login using your Sears email and password.

8. At this point you may attempt to connect to your Water Heater but it most likely will not work.  In the menu there is a button for Help & Info and then a link to email Kenmore Support.

9.  Send Kenmore Support an email  Ask for Ajay as he helped me) telling them that you can not get the newly installed Kenmore Smart Module to work with the Kenmore Smart App.  Provide them the Sear / Kenmore Model number of your water heater (I'll discuss how to convert Part number later).  Also provide them your IP Address from http://www.myipaddress.com/show-my-ip-address/

10.  Once Kenmore Support adds your water heater to your Sears record the Kenmore Smart App should work.

How to convert / determine which Sears / Kenmore to use.  All Sears water heaters model / part numbers begin with "153."  and also end with an extra "0", so let's put this aside. 

Model 58240 / 58250, Kenmore Electric Water Heater, 12 year, Smart Compatible.  (40 / 50 Gal respectively)

Model 58940 / 58950, Kenmore Electric Water Heater, 9 year, Smart Compatible.  (40 / 50 Gal respectively)

Model 59250 / 59260 / 59280, Kenmore Elite Water Heater (Hybrid), 10 year, Smart Compatible.  (40 / 50 / 60 Gal respectively)

Go to https://www.searspartsdirect.com/ and search one of the sears models that you think may be yours.  Compare both visual and parts lists/numbers.

So that's my story.  Hope it helps.  BillyBob

5 REPLIES 5
Frequent Contributor

Re: REPLACE IRIS ENERGY SMART WTR HTR CONTROLLER 6911211 WITH KENMORE SMART MODULE 58000

I’ve followed these steps and I’ve got the Kenmore smart module connected to my WiFi, contacted Sears support and they’ve added my water heater so that it appears in the app. The water heater shows as “Remote Access Disabled” in the Kenmore app. When I press “grid enabled” on the water heater a lightning bolt + “GRID” flickers on the display but never turns on and the button doesn’t stay lit. If I reconnect the Iris Energy smart module, I have no problem enabling smart grid. So there seems to be some compatibility issue?? Has anyone else had this problem and found a resolution?
Tinkerer

Re: REPLACE IRIS ENERGY SMART WTR HTR CONTROLLER 6911211 WITH KENMORE SMART MODULE 58000

@Kharrison1 
Same deal here.
One difference though... I am seeing the exact same behaviour as you, however I haven't contacted sears support.
I simply followed the instructions in the app to add the water heater. It added just fine, but it seems that I can't enable grid mode, same as you.
It shows the temperature as 60, mode is blank, and the hot water meter shows 3/3 bars.
I'm curious if those indicators will change as my hot water is used. I do know previously when I had a power outage and I had to re-enable grid mode, I would receive notifications about low water heater levels, however I could not control the temperature. If this is still the case, this is really all I care about... I never did anything to change the temperature anyway.

Tinkerer

Reading back over these instructions, I'm not clear on a few things.
#1 You never mention turning off the power... I turned off the power before installing this, is it possible this is my problem? Do I need to do this with the power on? I'm afraid to try this because I don't want to damage something.
#2 You mentioned not putting the screws in yet. I'm not sure why this would make any difference. I did put the screws in mine. You never mention at what point you do put the screws back in... this part has kinda baffled me.
#3 You never mention enabling grid mode, which I understand must be enabled for 2 way communication to happen between the water heater and controller (I am unable to get grid mode to turn on). At this point im kinda wondering if you swapped these controllers with the power on and grid mode already enabled? If this is the case, what happens when the power is lost?
#4 When you provide a model # to kenmore support, should you include the leading 153 and trailing 0?

Thanks for any help or clarification you can provide

Frequent Contributor

Good questions ... I’m interested to see responses. I have tried to get grid enabled to turn on many different ways but it doesn’t work with the Kenmore module. If I remove the energy smart module while grid IS enabled, it will turn off. So back to square one trying to get it enabled with the Kenmore module.
Frequent Contributor

Another thing I learned from Kenmore Smart support is that the water heater sends it's own model number (through the 58000 module) to the Sears backend systems. So I'm really puzzled how a non-Sears water heater could work in that scenario ... it couldn't identify itself correctly so how will the Sears systems know how to control it?