Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rule Schedualing ???????????

SOLVED
WLY
Frequent Contributor

Rule Schedualing ???????????

I am experiencing additional operator error so need more advice from the Gang.  Set up a motion sensor on the front porch to trigger a camera which is working just fine.

Changed out the light switch to a smart switch so if the motion detector triggers the front porch light goes on.  Seems simple enough!

Set up a rule to govern how the light works, having some kind of confusion concerning scheduling.

Mon-Sun: I want the porch light rule to activate dusk to dawn. I don’t see a need for the light to run daytime.

Event 1 “Inactive” 5:00 am or Sunrise either one I don’t care

Event 2 “Active” 5:00 pm or Sunset doesn’t matter which

Yet 8:00 am today the light is still turning on when the motion sensor triggers.

12 REPLIES 12
Advanced Member

Re: Rule Schedualing ???????????

What time did you set up the rule?  If after 5:00AM or sunrise, then it will be active until sunrise tomorrow.  The rule is active when you first create it, it won't go inactive until the next inactive time roles around.

Many people get confused abotut the check boxes.  The box will check and un-check as the rule goes active an inactive.  It is not a enable disable rule like you might think.

WLY
Frequent Contributor

The current rule is

Event 1 “Inactive” 5:00 am or Sunrise either one I don’t care

Event 2 “Active” 5:00 pm or Sunset doesn’t matter which

I set one event to stop at 5 am

I set the second event to start at 5 pm.

This morning the light was still going off at 8 am everytime I steped on the porch.

BUT

I finally got the GE switch back into the gang box.  After removing the GE switch from Devises and repairing IRIS did a network rebuild.  The light is not comming on so maybe the system has worked itself out.   Will play with it tonight.   Thanks

Advanced Member

Did you look at the rule when you noticed the light coming on.  If the rule was checked that means it is active and the light will come on, if the light was not supposed to be coming on then the rule should be unchecked. 

This may not be your issue, but many people have trouble with this, so I thought I would mention it.

WLY
Frequent Contributor

FYI I got it.  Trying to make it too complicated, thinking I needed to turn the event on the turn it off.   The Sunset function seems to be working.   Thanks

Beginner

I am new to Iris. I installed a smart switch for our front porch light. How do I schedule it to go on/off at dusk/dawn?
Advanced Member

Go into the Lights & Switches card in the app then Schedule at the top and choose a device to create a schedule.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Advanced Member

Just like Terk said.  Though with some color schemes, it can be hard to see.  On the left upper bar, it says "Devices".  To the right of that, it says "Schedule".

Frequent Contributor

I am thinking I may install a smart light switch on the porch as well and install another motion outside to trigger the switch. For this to work the switch needs to be left in the on position right. (Have not picked up the switch yet) If someone turns the switch to off, is it now in-operable completely or will the motion and rule still turn it on. I probally should buy the switch first and read up on it, sorry.

Advanced Member

Your scenario will work with a smart switch.  If someone manually turns the the light on or off it will not effect rules.  You can set a rule to turn off the light after a fixed duration, or after no motion for some set period.  I think the ability to turn off with no motion has been added.  I don't currently have any motion sensors on Iris, but I believe that was added in the last update.