cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solutions Page in Iris website-not updated?

Tinkerer

Re: Solutions Page in Iris website-not updated?

@Zone23wrote:

My neighbors were mainly pointing the inconsistencies and options that they would rather go with. They are well aware of Simplisafe pricing. Adobe is pricier but more stable and Scout is good too. Ring, we don’t know the automation it will have, but I know it will work with Schlage locks off the bat and per a recent article it will slowly develop other products into the system. Just like Iris did. You can’t pass up the $10/month for Pro Monitoring that they will have. I still have Iris and there are less bugs from when I first got it (the first 7 days I had issues that would would take a life time to achieve on any system). I don’t know if the bugs are just Iris related but my two previous posts on this topic were on here and then gone. I thought they were removed because I read them and even went to the post afterwards. But i was notified that there is a “glitch” when posting to this forum and I should copy and paste in the future. There seems like a glitch in at least something with the app, devices, notifications and now this. But I’m still here with hope. As an alarm so far it’s pretty good. Although my internet went down for 8 minutes last night and I did not get notifications (not sure if you’re supposed to get any for WiFi being down) I did have a banner on app that said “Hub Offline”.

I believe that's normal if your Internet went down and you don't have an Iris modem to connect to their 4G network as backup.

As for the bugs, I can speak as a very old ex-programmer using COBOL on mainframe computers.  It was easy back then with much less to be concerned with.  Write a program test it, send it to production after completing thorough testing.  Programs typically ran independently to one another. The most difficult thing was to meet deadlines, including users in testing, etc.   Today is quite different.

Try running a Linux system (I run Ubuntu 16.04) to get a better understanding.  You'll find that each program has dependencies and each device has drivers.  If any of those dependencies are changed or break, or if any of those drivers are updated, the proprietary software better be poised to make the necessary changes.  Some of those dependencies are open source but some are proprietary themselves.  Then you have to consider all the languages today.  Back then I was a COBOL programmer which dominated the computer world.  Today you have Java, SQL, C++, etc.  It may be difficult to keep good coders today with such high demand.  Once they leave it may be difficult to replace those good coders.

It's not as easy as you think.

Tinkerer

Re: Solutions Page in Iris website-not updated?

Thanks for insight. I’m not saying it’s essy. I had smartthings with no issues and the only reason I switched is that it didn’t have a feel of an alarm system. Automation, smartthings was really really good! On Iris, not so much...so far. Like I said, alarm wise Iris is pretty good. Everything else, it’s been a less of a headache from 17 days ago. But there’s still roll your eyes moments instead of frustration because I expect it.