cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T Minus 5 days and counting... Hopefully everyone is doing well with the transition, good luck!

Tinkerer

T Minus 5 days and counting... Hopefully everyone is doing well with the transition, good luck!

It's with an oddly sad feeling that I say goodbye to this community. You've all been great! I am going to miss Iris, but as I have mentioned before will be working with the Arcus team where I can to salvage what we can of the system, much, if not all of the code has been released, and is already actively being worked on. 

To get the functions, most notably security, that I was missing I did jump in on SmartThings. I fiugred my gamble wasn't too much of a risk because.

#1. I was planning on self monitoring, and that goes through the SmartThings cloud, not ADT services, so even if ADT broke the collaborative agreement, the system would still run.

#2. Most everything I am doing will run locally on the hub.

#3. I got the starter kit on deep discount sale ($99.00), and the door and window sensors again on deep discount sale, this time from an Ebayer that picked up a mess of them I am assuming at the $4.99 price at BestBuy in Feb, I paid $10.00 per for 15).

I opted for the Ring floodlight camera, and a pair of Ring spotlight camera wired models, sadly I wanted to get them from Lowes, but my local Lowes didn't have them, and the web site couldn't /  wouldn't price match. I ended up ordering my Floodlight camera from Costco, as a bundle with a Ring Chime pro which is a good addition as the Ring devices have fairly weak WiFi radios. I got the spotlight cam wired pair from B&H Photo Video.

So by smart shopping, I spent a bit over half of my reimbursement card on replacing my Iris functions. I could have easily spent it all had I paid full price! Anyway, this allowed me to snag some Phillips Smart + bulbs, an extra Echo Dot, and a King of Fans ZigBee ceiling fan / light controller, and still have plenty left over on the card...

So for now anyway, I would be a fool to object, but object I will on one issue. 

Lowes management team. This message is for you. I REALLY want to support you after what you have done for us, but with the extremely limited selection, and local store management that doesn't have any knowledge, and even less concern for home security and automation.  I don't want to make too much of this, but I have been doing datacomm projects now in residences and small offices for the last 20+ years, and getting the supplies I need for anything "tech infrastructure" related from your company has always been a problem. I was in store just 2 days ago looking for a simple triple keystone wallplate in white for a client's remodel I was working on where we were pulling fresh ethernet, telephone and coaxial cable into a newly built home office space (guy literally had a customized Tough Shed put in to work out of so he can "go to work" and have a work space the kids weren't bugging him in). The sales floor associates had no idea what a keystone was, or even for that matter what datacomm parts meant. At best they were able to show me to a triple gang Decora wallplate. Not even close...

I did eventually locate the shelf space for Home Automation, and Datacomm, 8 feet of shelving each, both very spareseley populated, and the HA space was mostly populated with Iris products, which is being turned off in less than a week. 

I would suggest that if you want to take advantage of the tech sector, notably HA, security, and datacomm, that you hire folks with a background in the field that can tell you what people need. 

Now the negative is over, now for the positive, Lowes DID have window screen kits, which I needed, my frames are bent and screen is all trashed due to our lovely pets, time to redo them... A bag of dry wallboard compound, and some flourescent LED replacement tubes were sourced up...

So to sum it up, and for TLSmiley Very HappyR.

Good luck to EVERYONE, including Lowes, and thank you. Lowe's, please up your tech game, I want to do business with you.

I will be seeing some of you, probably already are on Smartthings, and Arcus community sites... 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: T Minus 5 days and counting... Hopefully everyone is doing well with the transition, good luck!

What kind of Iris products did they have?
Tinkerer

Re: T Minus 5 days and counting... Hopefully everyone is doing well with the transition, good luck!

a couple of 2nd gen hubs, a whole row of 2nd gen keypads some of the water heater controllers, full price 3rd gen smart plugs, some smoke alarms etc... 

Tinkerer

I too bought Smartthings for the same price and am on their community.  The community and available information/features/etc. can be a little overwhelming at times for those who want simple, like IRIS was.  What is the the website for the Arcus community?  I wasn't aware of what is going on on that side.  The closest I've seen is the thread on the Livingwith IRIS website, see -->  http://forum.livingwithiris.com/topic/4485-arcus-smart-home/

Tinkerer

Right now, I think the livingwithiris website is where it is centralized. It appears that TheGillion is more or less heading this up however there does not appear to be any formal "Open Source Project" or "Open Source Foundation" started for this effort, I have been asking and getting no responses which is a pity, without some sort of governance / direction this is likely to fail... And I'd really rather it didn't...