cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Smart Plug 3210-L for simple power failure

Rookie

Using Smart Plug 3210-L for simple power failure

Hello folks. First time user of the Iris system and I am not seeing what I need. I have the aformentioned Smart Plug that I have my freezer plugged into and I want a simple rule to detect power failure in the plug. I don't see a rule for this anywhere. Am I missing something?

6 REPLIES
Tinkerer

Re: Using Smart Plug 3210-L for simple power failure

I don't think you officially can.  I saw a threaad where someone tried to put a temperature device (Smart Plug?) inside the freezer but the attempt failed due to lost connection.

The closest you might come is use the "Monitor Smart Plug Eneergy Usage" found in rules libary.  You can set the wattage very low in hopes that you get notification that's off.  I don't know if you would get false alarms however.  Here is the rule:

When {Device (smart plus} electricity usage goes {Below}  1 (?)  watts, then send {person} a message via {email or push notification} .

Frequent Contributor

1.  Plug the frig into a smart plug.

2. In the lights and switches rules, you can set up a rule to to notify you (via email or push notification) when the smart plug has been off for too long.

Or, you can accomplish this outside of IRIS by buying a power failure alarm.  They sell these on Amazon. 

Rookie

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately this didn’t work. It would appear the plug must have power to send the notification.
Tinkerer

@plgill99 wrote:

1.  Plug the frig into a smart plug.

2. In the lights and switches rules, you can set up a rule to to notify you (via email or push notification) when the smart plug has been off for too long.

Or, you can accomplish this outside of IRIS by buying a power failure alarm.  They sell these on Amazon. 

This would be great if they add the hub as one of the devices.  At least we would know when the hub has lost power.  It wouldn't help if the Internet went down however.  I guess you can buy the cellular backup device and use a smart plug with this rule for it, assuming the Internet stays connected with the cell backup.

Perhaps it can be done another way.  Is it possible to plug the hub into a smart plug and run this rule when the hub loses power?  And/or you can use an additional smart plug for the ISP modem for when it loses power.  The only thing this wouldn't cover would be if the actual Internet goes down.  Again the cell backup method could be employed for that event.

Rookie

Thanks for the suggestion. This rule does work, however I’ve discovered the plug must have power in order to send the low wattage alarm. Since I’m really looking for a lost power alarm this won’t work.

I am sorry Iris will not do this in a timely manner. It will let you know if a device goes offline after it has been off for more then 8 hours. 

-----------------------------------------------------------
Iris Web Portal