cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a contact sensor to monitor garage doors.

Tinkerer

Using a contact sensor to monitor garage doors.

Okay here's the scoop. I have all of my doors, and windows set up with 1st, and 2nd gen contact sensors. My only weak spot for open / close is the garage doors. 

I purchased my contact sensors in bulk packs (multiple 4 packs) and have 3 extras sitting around unused. My original plan was to go with the NYCE door tilt sensors, but I am more than a bit concerned about sinking more money into the system with the pending sale of IRIS and the giant question mark surrounding the platform. I am delaying putting any more money into the system until such time as the platforms future can be solidly determined as stable.  

So on to the meat of the matter. I am searching for ways to utilize my existing spare contact sensors to monitor open / close of the overhead doors. 

Last night I saw a youtube of a person who set up I think it was a smart things sensor, to the top of his overhead door, with the magnet side mounted to the door. He had MUCH more of a gap than I do on mine. I am thinking since my top most roller is about 6 inches below the top of my door. and I was thinking about mounting the magnet to the door on the top side, with the main piece to the wall next to it with the standard 1/8 - 1/4" gap for the close position.

Is there any forseeable drawback to setting these up?

6 REPLIES 6
Advanced Member

Re: Using a contact sensor to monitor garage doors.

I tried to mount a contact sensor on the side of mine and it ended up getting torn off by one of the cables.  The cable is nowhere near the sensor with the door in the position when I mounted it.  My bad.

Here is what I ended up doing on all of my garage doors:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uecg7l2bbmpuypc/Photo%20Dec%2019%2C%208%2059%2037%20AM.jpg?dl=0

Not sure who the photo belongs to, or I would give them full credit.  The only difference I have is that I mounted the hinge/sensor on the bottom edge of the top panel and the magnet on the top edge of the next panel down.  It works great.

Highlighted
Tinkerer

Well now, that is an approach I hadn't considered, pretty inexpensive and ingenious as all get out. I like it!

And to top it off, I have some  spare piano hinge in my toolbox that I have been looking for a good use for a couple of years now! Will post up pics when I am done to possibly help the next person looking for ideas...

Advanced Member

I agree!  I wish I could give whoever did this the credit they deserve.  Iris cut the garage door openers out of the alarm devices for a while, so this allowed me to get them back under the security alarm.

They have since brought the garage door controller back to the alarm side, but I left the contact sensors on.  They just work as a secondary confirmation in case the tilt sensor fails on the Garage Door Controller.

Frequent Contributor

I did the same thing but instead I attached the main body of the sensor to the top of the door with the included DS tape.  Then I attached the magnet to the sensor with cloth medical tape so that is falls away when you open the door.  Working great for a couple of years.

Advanced Member

@rdisom wrote: 

Not sure who the photo belongs to, or I would give them full credit.  The only difference I have is that I mounted the hinge/sensor on the bottom edge of the top panel and the magnet on the top edge of the next panel down.  It works great.

Credit for this goes to @joelh.

http://forum.livingwithiris.com/topic/1017-contact-sensor-for-garage-door/?tab=comments#comment-7811

Tinkerer

Done.

Let me explain the process...

Supplies needed aside from the contact sensor.  At least for the way I did it... This is just the stuff I had on hand to make it work...

This was first and foremost done with what I already had on hand. Yes a 3/4" wide hinge would have given me a LOT more support of the main part of the sensor. WIthout any doubt, but I didn't have them, and this works fine so far...

Length of 3/8" piano hinge long enough to cut 2 hinges to the length of the sensors.

3/4" white foam mounting tape. 

hack saw and bench vise.

Metal file to deburr the hinges.

scissors.

Measure and mark your piano hinge such that the cut off piece is the same length or slightly shorter than the sensor.

Clamp the hinge in your vise, protect it with some fabric if using a machine vise. I used a woodworkers vise with wooden jaws so no marring... Cut the hinge pieces.

Secure the hing pieces in the vise and deburr them with the file.

Measure and cut the foam tape in 2 pieces the length of the sensor.

Cut the foam tape pieces in half lengthwise.

Tape 2 pieces stacked for the mangent side and attach to magnet side with any excess aimed away from teh alignment mark.

Tape foam tape pieces on each outside edge of the hinges so the hinge swings freely with the tape on the ousdie.

Pair the sensor (s) to the hub.

Mount the main part of the sensor to the hinge keeping it clear of the working part of the hinge with the alignment mark aimed away from the pivot of the hinge.

Mount the pieces to the garage door. In my case my doors are insulated. Align them such that the main piece / hinge will stop on something before it over rotates and potentially gets stuck.

So there it is. Yes I know the proper tilt sensor would have been a better soltuion, but with the uncertain future of the platform, this is a great way to get coverage of my garage. I now have every entry point sensor protected, and ready to go... Now I move on to getting the cameras put up...

IrisSensorHinge.jpgAttached foam tape to hinge pieces and stacked foam tape for magnet.IrisSensorHinge2.jpgMounted, Top of door will stop motion.IrisSensorHinge3.jpgMounted in open position.