cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washing machine mishaps a thing of the past!

Frequent Contributor

Washing machine mishaps a thing of the past!

After suffering a loss from our washing machine mess in the basement, we discovered a way to have Iris help us prevent any future mishaps! Here’s what we did: purchased a smart plug for the washing machine and a water leak detector. There is a rule available that if the water leak detector detects water it will immediately shut off the washing machine!

I certainly could have that used the solution! So happy we figured it out now for the future. Loving Iris and looking forward to the new line!!
11 REPLIES
Tinkerer

Re: Washing machine mishaps a thing of the past!

Have you considered a LeakSmart valve? Personally knowing what happens when the water valve goes out on the washing machine and even unplugging the machine doesn’t help and water is still flowing. I have one of these installed in my well house specifically for this type of issue. Might be something to consider as it would shut off the water to the whole house keeping a major flood from happening and ruining the day. Hope this helps. But you’re definitely on the right track thinking.
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for responding! I have purchased one! Just waiting for the plumber to come install it. I will also incorporate that into the mix! I own so many Iris devices....I hope they find a buyer who will keep it going!!!!!
Tinkerer

I hope they do also. When it comes to whole home safety and automation, some of these products make perfect sense. I have made good use of my LeakSmart valve numerous times to turn the water off and on, all to do repairs to my plumbing. Good luck with the installation.
Frequent Contributor

I agree!! Very happy with the smart home and security features. I tell everyone I can about it!!

Thank you and have a great day!
Tinkerer

I am curious, my outlet for my washing machine is 20amp. I do not know of any of these smart outlets / plugs that are of sufficient amperage to support a washing machine.

Tinkerer

You would have to check the amp ratings for that particular machine to see. I don’t know what the amp ratings are for any of the smart plugs.
Tinkerer

15 amp.
Tinkerer

In my opinion there shouldn’t be an issue. But I haven’t been able to find any amp ratings for any of the smart plugs. But not really sure if that’s what they’re intended for. I would still consider a LeakSmart valve for best results over a smart plug.
Tinkerer

You are most likely quite right...