cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s next for everyone? Ring and ST for me possibly.

Frequent Contributor

What’s next for everyone? Ring and ST for me possibly.

I did minimal research and think I am going to get the Ring alarm system for $100 year ( already pay $30 a year for doorbell anyway) then add ST for my home automation stuff.  Any thoughts about these set ups ?  What are you guys going to do ?

27 REPLIES 27
Frequent Contributor

Re: What’s next for everyone? Ring and ST for me possibly.

I probably have close to 10 hours in research myself on these systems and am really disheartened to not be able and find any one system that had all of the pluses I loved with Iris.   But my general direction is very similar to yours.  Ring for Security because I like the hub and keypad being separate to increase difficulty in defeating, and ST is compatible with most of the devices I had on Iris.   I have 10 of the First Alert Smoke alarms and while Abode is compatible with the carbon monoxide/smoke combo, I don't see the regular ones listed as being compatible.  Smiley Sad   I don't see our 2nd gen smart plugs as working either. 

Frequent Contributor

I have like 85 devices currently , including 4 smoke/CO detectors.  I am getting a nice chunk in the gift card because I also have a water softener that isn’t compatible with other systems.  I hope ST can unlock doors with location settings on my phone but I can’t find much reliable info on it. It’s going to be a pain to reset and pair my 40+ outlets and switches, but hopefully ST’s will be my last move. I don’t really want 2 systems but I can’t find one that does everything and a   Reasonable Monthly fee

Tinkerer

I am still researching my options. I am really liking Ring for their security, and obviously integration of the Ring Camera functions. However the lack of home automation integration is kind of a show stopper for me. I am wanting a one shot solution where I can have a triggered alarm turn on all the visible lights on the house, turn on strobes visible on the outside, and turn on loud sirens. With Ring failing to integrate automation, I am not sure how to trigger smart switches and sockets to turn on the lights.

IF Ring supports ITTT where it could easily configured to send a command to a ST hub to turn on the lights, and the rest of the home automation such as turning on ceiling fans, thermostat etc... could be controlled within ST then I can use a hybrid approach, but again, I would prefer a consolidated solution such as what Iris offered.

ADT Smartthings does offer that, but the cost of the hardware, and monitoring is considerably higher, and beyond my comfort point.

If anyone knows if there is a comparitive chart between the various systems, including what devices we have in our Iris systems are compatible with them.

I'm not super concerned with any of the sensors, as I only have 3 2nd gen sensors. I am concerned more about my Utilitech sirens, and my Honeywell Smart WiFi Thermostat... 

Frequent Contributor

I am curious where everyone is headed too. As a non-tech family, we don't have a lot of time or resources to research other options prior to an upcoming vacation. Our redemption is decent enough to start on another option, so considering ST and ring. We have smart plugs, water leak and smoke/CO detectors we'd like to continue using. As an addition, our home had ADT in it prior to our purchase, but we never activiated it as we had been using IRIS in our former home and continued when we moved into the present one. All of the ADT hardware is still installed in the home and it seems like this could be a quick solution for upcoming travels, but my attempt to call ADT CS to see if there were any short contract or relatively low price options resulted in a very elaborate, length and uninforming sales pitch that I actually had to hang up on to get out of the conversation. Does anyone have a positive experience with ADT, or know if the smarthings with ADT requires a contract? Looking for the best option that utilizes things already existing (I don't like waste) and do not need high levels of monitoring.

Frequent Contributor

I am trying to get in touch with ST to understand their system and costs a bit more and well, all I do is wait on hold.  If anyone out there has a # for them, that actually connects to someone, please share.   Where ST uses all the sensors, you don't get any monitoring so yes the security piece is the problem.  If you go to ADT security, it is quite expensive, $34.99/month for Fire, CO2 and intrusion.  The IRIS sensors do not appear to work, (based on my reading), with the ADT hub, so all sensors have to be replaced.  I had ADT in and they could not connect to my lock or fire alarm, eventhough they said they could.  I am at a loss.  Thanks for talking about RING, I had not considered them.

Frequent Contributor

What are the options at the end of IRIS

I am trying to get in touch with ST to understand their system and costs a bit more and well, all I do is wait on hold.  If anyone out there has a # for them, that actually connects to someone, please share.   Where ST uses all the sensors, you don't get any monitoring so yes the security piece is the problem.  If you go to ADT security, it is quite expensive, $34.99/month for Fire, CO2 and intrusion.  The IRIS sensors do not appear to work, (based on my reading), with the ADT hub, so all sensors have to be replaced.  I had ADT in and they could not connect to my lock or fire alarm, eventhough they said they could.  I am at a loss.  Thanks for talking about RING, I had not considered them.

Frequent Contributor

I’m looking at a few options, Wink, Veraplus, and HomeSeer. Lots of info on utube to see examples. So far I’m leaning towards Veraplus but user reviews are all over the board. However same is true of the reviews of all systems. I might have gone for wink but they don’t have modes ST isn’t run local and that is a must. HomeSeer just looks to much like I need to be a developer and it’s expensive. Whereas Veraplus has modes, is run locally, has geofencing, groups/rooms, and some built in IFTTT rule builders. 

Ill probobly wait wait until about mid March to make a choice and hope I get more clarity on these options.

so if anyone has experience with these other systems, I’m all ears.

Frequent Contributor

Is anyone looking into SimpliSafe? 

Tinkerer

Simplisafe - We had them before iris. Find something else