cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s next for everyone? Ring and ST for me possibly.

Advanced Member

Re: What are the options at the end of IRIS

From my understanding the Iris sensors will work with the ADT hub but only for home automation aspects for the security side you have to use all ADT propriatery sensors, smoke detectors, sirens, and presence sensors I don't believe the ADT security has a Geo Fencing option.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Tinkerer

Re: What’s next for everyone? Ring and ST for me possibly.

My experience with the Iris By Lowes shut down and change over to SmartThings.

I have multiple locations (4) with Iris, that I needed to make the change over with.

Location #1 (parent’s house):

Key Pads, Smoke Alarms, door/window sensors, motion sensors, key fobs, smart plugs, Termostat.

I had received a ADT/SmartThings starter kit free with a purchase from Best Buy, a few months back. So I decided to start with that since I already owed it. I had some concerns with the ADT/SmartThing Hub not natively allowed the Iris contact sensors to function for the security portion of the hub. I did use the work around of downloading the code for “ADT Tools 2” from Github and that was a rather pain to get to work, at first but that was totally user error. After all that trouble, I did not like how it appeared in the SmartThings app nor how it functioned for my elderly parents.   I noticed that Best Buy and the ADT/SmartThings contact sensors on sale for $4.99 each. (I assume at that low of price the system was being phased out or something.) So I decided to purchase 10 more of those and a few motion sensors and just do one house in ADT/SmartThings for the security side and use some of left over Iris stuff for the automation side of things. And so far, so good. This house had about 30  items on Iris and it took me hours to unpair and re-add things back into ADT/SmartThings. So location #1 done.

Pros: Key Pad. Arlo camera work with it. (already own those)

Cons: For easy of use- had to purchase (ADT ) additional door sensors and motion sensors.$70 cost

Location #2 (main house):

Key Pads, Smoke Alarms, door/window sensors, motion sensors, key fobs, buttons, light Switches, outlets, smart plugs,  Garage Door Opening, Thermostat, Hue Lighting, Ring Door Bell, and Alexa

Decided to go with a SmartThings Wifi Hub. This system had probably 130 items connected with most things connected to Alexa. This was more time consuming to make the change over, especially with Alexa commands and rules or as SmartThing calls the “Automations”..

Tip: take screen shots  of all your rules, before you unpair devices in Iris.

I decided to make the change over, room by room, it took a few days to complete when I could only do it at night, after everyone to bed.

Pros: easy to set up

Con: No native support for Key Pad (Coming Soon)

So far so good

Location #3 (Grand Ma):

Key Pads, Smoke Alarms, door/window sensors, motion sensors, key fobs, smart plugs, Thermostat, cameras. 30 items on the system.

Plan on going with a SmartThings Wifi Hub. and Arlo Q for cameras

Going to be testing and insuring which is more stable. Do not plan on making this change until next month.

Location #4 Friend):

Key Pads, Smoke Alarms, door/window sensors, motion sensors, key fobs, smart plugs, cameras. 20 items on the system.

Plan on going with a SmartThings Wifi Hub. and Arlo Q for cameras

Going to be testing and insuring which is more stable. Do not plan on making this change next week

Frequent Contributor

I’m setting up Home Assistant. Enables a one stop hub for hundreds of devices. Unfortunately Iris isn’t one of them, but I can buy many less expensive devices that will work. Oh, and service is free and on my local home network. Takes some learning to set it up, but I also enjoy that aspect.
Tinkerer

Simplisafe is the one that had in their earlier models not implemented data encryption, and when they did, it was with new hardware that customers had to buy. I am not willing to buy from a security company that makes you pay extra to fix their poor security practices. And I don't recommend you do either.

@amquiwa wrote:

Is anyone looking into SimpliSafe? 

Frequent Contributor

I ended up with Ring and SmartThings.  I can say that I am very happy with both.  Took me a while to get ST set up as I was apparently trying to add the wrong hub, but once I got going it was easy.  I moved over all my devices that were compatible (50+) and set up new automations.  It’s like nothing changed at this point.  Took just over a day to finish and there will be a few tweaks here and there but overall I like this set up. 

If if you have smart locks and want security I recommend the ring alarm.  They have an option where if you type in your code on the lock it will disarm the alarm.  This is way better than he Iris way were any unlocking of the door would turn off the alarm (burglars usually unlock the door from the inside to leave).

I had a great ride with IRIS and I thank them for the gift card.  I am sorry to go but it’s time to move on.  See some of you guys on the ST forums....

Frequent Contributor

@Dholovacko:

Does smartthings do SMS notifications, or only push? I'd like to have SMS notifications for times when I am in low coverage and data access is limited.

Frequent Contributor

We went with Smartthings. I wish that we had went sooner. I really like the iris system, but I can do so much more with ST. At least for me, the possibilities have been endless. Not to mention I’ve spent so much money adding even more things that I have before! It’s been fun working on the ST platform.
Tinkerer

Abode for me.

Put my Abode system online 2/28 night. Here is a quick overview of how it went. I bought the Iota package with additional devices.

Unboxed and followed install directions of power up and hook in to Ethernet cable on router. All devices in Iota pack came pre-paired. Installed app and web ui and followed directions. Entered my wifi info and it connected. Proceeded to locate Iota where I wanted it. I am running it wifi for ease of placement. Went around and paired all my Iris V2 smart plugs to system. No problems. Tried to pair my IRIS V2 door contacts and they came up as temp sensors only.  This was stated somewhere else but I thought I would try it anyways. I then proceeded to install the door contacts that came with the Iota pack (1) and extras I had bought. Installed with no problems. I then factory reset my First Alert Smoke/Co Detectors and added them into the system. No problem. I then added a keypad, motion/lux/temp sensor with no problems. You add devices very similar to how we did with Iris. I then added a few lighting schedules and a few CUE programs. I spent around 3 hrs from start to finish and not rushing and eating dinner in the process so it really went smooth. My initial view - Easy setup, nice app and wui, program is easy to use and customize. System 2 is set to arrive Monday and I will be ordering systems 3 & 4 this weekend. 

Thank you Lowe's for treating us as valued customers. 

Tinkerer

So I've gone and done it. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a replacement system. 

I don't need pro monitoring, but I have been super leery of the ADT Smartthings setup as ADT looks like they are likely to jump ship soon, however from my discussion with Samsung, they have a fairly long term contract with ADT for the platform, and even without ADT plan to support the platform for self monitoring. 

Amazon had the ADT ST Home Monitoring starter kit for $99.00, and an ebayer had the door and window sensors for $10.00 ea, so I got the risky part for $250.00...

Because of structural elements in my house, I can't cover the full front of the house with one, or even two cameras, so I opted for a Ring Video Doorbell 2, and 2 Ring Spotlight Camera Wired models. 

My back yard can be covered by one Ring Floodlight Camera.

I am setting up Spectral for me to reuse 2 of the Iris OC821 cameras to cover my side windows, this will end up being an IFTTT event trigger back to Smartthings... 

So I am back to secured, and my automation is restarted, I'd like to pick up a few more of the smart plugs, they don't have to be Iris, but they do need to be Smartthings compatible. I want to be able to trigger lamps on and off either via an event, or just voice, you know, Alexa turn on Dad's reading lamp kind of thing... Need to add about 7 of those, 2 for master bedroom, 1 each for the 2 kids rooms and the home office, 2 for the living room.

I'm going to box up and stow my Iris equipment pending full release of working Arcus. I am building an outbuilding in my back yard for a workshop shed, and will want to tie that in via Arcus... 2 of the leftover cameras, and 6 of the contact sensors, not to mention the hub, and keypad, that's about it...

Frequent Contributor

I finally pulled the trigger on VeraPlus. I won’t start the install until March 22nd or so when I return from south america, but will keep some notes and post something about my switchover experience.

i still want to keep up with the other systems as I fell like this is just a short term solution because if this is problematic I’m more then open to trying other systems.