cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s next for everyone? Ring and ST for me possibly.

Advanced Member

Re: What are the options at the end of IRIS

From my understanding the Iris sensors will work with the ADT hub but only for home automation aspects for the security side you have to use all ADT propriatery sensors, smoke detectors, sirens, and presence sensors I don't believe the ADT security has a Geo Fencing option.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Tinkerer

Re: What’s next for everyone? Ring and ST for me possibly.

My experience with the Iris By Lowes shut down and change over to SmartThings.

I have multiple locations (4) with Iris, that I needed to make the change over with.

Location #1 (parent’s house):

Key Pads, Smoke Alarms, door/window sensors, motion sensors, key fobs, smart plugs, Termostat.

I had received a ADT/SmartThings starter kit free with a purchase from Best Buy, a few months back. So I decided to start with that since I already owed it. I had some concerns with the ADT/SmartThing Hub not natively allowed the Iris contact sensors to function for the security portion of the hub. I did use the work around of downloading the code for “ADT Tools 2” from Github and that was a rather pain to get to work, at first but that was totally user error. After all that trouble, I did not like how it appeared in the SmartThings app nor how it functioned for my elderly parents.   I noticed that Best Buy and the ADT/SmartThings contact sensors on sale for $4.99 each. (I assume at that low of price the system was being phased out or something.) So I decided to purchase 10 more of those and a few motion sensors and just do one house in ADT/SmartThings for the security side and use some of left over Iris stuff for the automation side of things. And so far, so good. This house had about 30  items on Iris and it took me hours to unpair and re-add things back into ADT/SmartThings. So location #1 done.

Pros: Key Pad. Arlo camera work with it. (already own those)

Cons: For easy of use- had to purchase (ADT ) additional door sensors and motion sensors.$70 cost

Location #2 (main house):

Key Pads, Smoke Alarms, door/window sensors, motion sensors, key fobs, buttons, light Switches, outlets, smart plugs,  Garage Door Opening, Thermostat, Hue Lighting, Ring Door Bell, and Alexa

Decided to go with a SmartThings Wifi Hub. This system had probably 130 items connected with most things connected to Alexa. This was more time consuming to make the change over, especially with Alexa commands and rules or as SmartThing calls the “Automations”..

Tip: take screen shots  of all your rules, before you unpair devices in Iris.

I decided to make the change over, room by room, it took a few days to complete when I could only do it at night, after everyone to bed.

Pros: easy to set up

Con: No native support for Key Pad (Coming Soon)

So far so good

Location #3 (Grand Ma):

Key Pads, Smoke Alarms, door/window sensors, motion sensors, key fobs, smart plugs, Thermostat, cameras. 30 items on the system.

Plan on going with a SmartThings Wifi Hub. and Arlo Q for cameras

Going to be testing and insuring which is more stable. Do not plan on making this change until next month.

Location #4 Friend):

Key Pads, Smoke Alarms, door/window sensors, motion sensors, key fobs, smart plugs, cameras. 20 items on the system.

Plan on going with a SmartThings Wifi Hub. and Arlo Q for cameras

Going to be testing and insuring which is more stable. Do not plan on making this change next week

Rookie

Re: What’s next for everyone? Ring and ST for me possibly.

I’m setting up Home Assistant. Enables a one stop hub for hundreds of devices. Unfortunately Iris isn’t one of them, but I can buy many less expensive devices that will work. Oh, and service is free and on my local home network. Takes some learning to set it up, but I also enjoy that aspect.