cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with the refund $

Frequent Contributor

What to do with the refund $

We got about $750 refunded. Much more than expected which was smart for Lowes to do and sign off any further legal action. Much smarter that the V2 fiasco which they never recovered from and I think led to this day.

Wondering whether to go with SmartThings to salvage a few bits. or just start anew. The wireless cameras that Lowes dumped I got refunded more than I paid when they were on sale so I really can't complain. Their battery life sucks in the cold and they take too long to recharge. I'm going wired next time.

From what I read I have to use the ST ADT  hub even if not monitored and it doesn't work with the Iris sensors.  All that leaves are some wall plugs and the old Radio Tstats that are the only ones with a humidity sensor that is important,  SmartThings says compliance of this tstat is pending. I dont count on vaporware. 

What are everybody's thoughts on ST migration, other options, starting over, not getting technical?

3 REPLIES
Advanced Member

Re: What to do with the refund $

There are several discussions about the different systems and options on the LivingwithOUTIris forum.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks. Going through the 14 pages of the main thread was tedious.

Frequent Contributor

My Iris setup was probably more simple than yours. I only had a hub, keypad, 2 contact sensors, and one motion sensor that were 2nd gen. Everything else was first generation.

WHen I get my refund $, I am planning on replacing the sensors and hub / keypad with an ADT Smartthings setup. The Iris 2nd generation sensors will pair, and trigger events in Smartthings, but will not be usable for triggering ADT alerts. So for my purposes, I am going to use them in my workshop to keep tabs on if the cat got in there, and comings and goings of household members into my workspace when I am not there... Not for actual security.

My 1st generation Iris cameras are going to be swapped out, I am losing 2 cameras in the process but they caused problems anyway. I will be going with 1 Ring Floodlight cam, and 2 ring spotlight cams. The built in sensors / video are useless for ADT, but can do what you expect within Ring, and ST. The ADT Alerts can send signals via IFTTT to trigger the lights and siren on the cameras. 

Likewise my Utilitech sirens (I have 2) will pair up and can be via IFTTT to be triggered by an ADT alarm event.

I figure the light produced by the Ring devices, and the noise by the ADT hub, 2 Utilitech sirens, and 3 ring camera devices should be more than enough to get my neighbors attention and the police called, not to mention ward off intruders.

Honestly, I will be watching sales like a hawk when I get my visa card in...  I am getting $1,230.00 back on my Iris system, and with the items spec'ed in, with the sales I have seen, assuming I can grab the deals, I will actually have money left over. Probably add the smoke alarms and 2 CO alarms (All electric home, but I want CO protection by the fireplace and in the garage.  Oddly enough, the ADT Smoke alarms are cheap, roughly equivalent to dumb smoke detectors.