cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wishlist assuming Iris survives the sale and transition to new ownership...

Tinkerer

Wishlist assuming Iris survives the sale and transition to new ownership...

So, my Iris implmentation has been a slow, long term project along with a DIY remodel of the house. The involved components thus far are...

• Amazon Alexa (various points)
  • Hub
  • Keypad
  • 2 second generation contact sensors.
  • 1 second generation motion sensor.
  • 16 first gen contact sensors, including 2 rigged on hinges as tilt sensors for my garage doors.
  • 6 first gen outdoor cameras (IRIS OC821). 
  • Honeywell WiFi smart thermostat.

Now this is for a 4 bedroom 2 bath home, with ceiling fans in each bedroom, master bath dressing room, and kitchen.

I want to add the following devices. Not sure if I should use Zigby or Z-Wave...

• GE or Leviton 3 speed fan speed control white decora for each ceiling fan (6)
  • GE or Leviton 3 way switches, white, decora for the main bathroom, and front hallway (4).
  • GE or leviton white decora switches for the front door, each bedroom, kitchen, living room, dining room, dressing room, master bath, and back door.
  • Utilitech 85db siren.
  • Utilitech glass break sensors (6) to have a sensor within range of all windows.
  • First Alert smoke and CO2 detectors for each bedroom, one for the kitchen, and one for the living room.
  • Utilitech water leak detectors for both bathrooms, kitchen, and laundry room.
  • Orbit IRIS 12 station sprinkler controller.
  • And lastly, although it is high on my priority list even if IRIS won't support it, a Ring video doorbell.

So with my list, obviously Alexa devices, and my smart thermostat  that I already have going are not dependent on IRIS, what, if any of the other components of the system, current, or proposed could be carried over to what other systems should the IRIS platform cease functioning in the future?

What about garage door openers? Is it a good idea to automate that?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Wishlist assuming Iris survives the sale and transition to new ownership...

BigHoss,

Sounds like your off to a good start. I will help you out where I can.

For the Switches and Fan controls, I would go with GE I have replaced every switch with them and love them. If you care about power usage I would go with Zigbee because they report power (Wish I went with this). Zwave will do fine if you do not care and a lot of lowes has them and they go on sale a lot. 

First Alert smoke and CO2 I have them and they are great but I do not like the auto testing this is why I have added a 60-day flag into the iris web portal. 

Ring Doorbell I would go with Nest because I am in the Google ecosystem. 

I hope this helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Iris Web Portal
Tinkerer

Sure would make things a LOT easier if there was some widespread industry standard that would allow these components to all talk nice to each other... 

My coworker has the Nest doorbell and loves it, but sister in law has the ring. I can't tell any difference, and since we are on Alexa, Ring makes more sense... My biggest issue is I have to move wires around. I am doing a sideing redo on the house too, will move the doorbell / wiring at that point.

Tinkerer

Okay, so I have some minor updates to add to my wishlist. 

Here is what I already had in the list.

• GE or Leviton 3 way switches, white, decora for the main bathroom, and front hallway (4).
  • GE or leviton white decora switches for the front door, each bedroom, kitchen, living room, dining room, dressing room, master bath, and back door.
  • Utilitech 85db siren.
  • Utilitech glass break sensors (6) to have a sensor within range of all windows.
  • First Alert smoke and CO2 detectors for each bedroom, one for the kitchen, and one for the living room.
  • Utilitech water leak detectors for both bathrooms, kitchen, and laundry room.
  • Orbit IRIS 12 station sprinkler controller.
  • And lastly, although it is high on my priority list even if IRIS won't support it, a Ring video doorbell.

And the additions or changes from the list.

• 2 additional keypads. 1 for the back door, one for the garage door. I want keypads at each of the access points where we walk through into or out of the house. I am now using parital mode to protect us at night, and don't want my wife tripping it if she gets up to let the dog out in the middle of the night, or if I am working on something in the garage and step out to grab something from the car.
  • A total of 2 Utilitech 85db sirens. One in the garage, and one in the living room. Combined they should make enough of a noise to get sufficient attention to dissuade a burglary attempt.
  • I need to TEST this first to see IF it will tolerate the use, I want to add a v2 Iris Smart Plug (Zigbee) to my workshop to start / stop the dust collector. (Harbor Freight 2hp). The DC has a 15 amp plug but they are known to have a startup surge of up to 20amps for a milisecond. Some remote starters / outlets can't hadle the surge..

Tinkerer

Okay so a couple of minor updates, and I am getting concerned about the future of Iris as a platform, so let's separate this out some...

The involved components thus far are...

Devices that I have checked and verified at least to the best of my knowledge will carry over to Smarthings if absolutely necessary.

• Amazon Alexa (various points)
  • Honeywell WiFi smart thermostat 
  • Keypad
  • 2 second generation contact sensors.
  • 1 second generation motion sensor.
  • 2 Utilitech Indoor sirens. These are my newest additions, and were bought with an eye toward possible migration.
  • Second Generation Iris ZigBee smart plug. Currently used as a range extender and lighting control.

And to the best of my knowledge, the following will not work with smarthings.

• 16 first gen contact sensors, including 2 rigged on hinges as tilt sensors for my garage doors. I think I have mentioned this before, I bought 4 from Lowe's, and 12 from Ebay. I have less than $120.00 total invested in them not counting replacing batteries periodically. That cost doesn't bother me, the cost of replacement sensors does. I would happily dig up v2 sensors on the Ebay market if I could be sure they worked. I want to be able to stay with the least number of different battery types to maintain. Good thing about Iris is almost everything runs off of CR2 batteries. FWIW, it would appear NIB V2 contact sensors are going on Ebay with free shipping or at a lower cost you pay shipping on average for $19.00 per unit.
  • 6 first gen outdoor cameras (IRIS OC821).  I have paused on completing mounting these as I am not thrilled about the idea of drilling more holes than necessary to route power to cameras if I can get away with just running off of battery.
  • Hub. When I got my starter kit, the 2nd generation Iris hub was a free give away, so no real loss there.

Now this is for a 4 bedroom 2 bath home, with ceiling fans in each bedroom, master bath dressing room, and kitchen.

I want to add the following devices. After review, and the fact almost all sensors use Zigby, I am planning on going Zigby long term... 

• Iris water leak detector / sensors.
  • One item Iris doesn't support that Smarthings does, a Ring video doorbell.

I sadly discovered the Utilitech, or for that matter, any glass breakage sensors, are not compatible with smarthings. No idea why. Seems like a huge omission to me.

Advanced Member

I modified someones camera DTH for SmartThings a year or two ago and had my 1st gen Iris cameras working somewhat with SmartThings at least they could be live viewed and used to take snapshots, if you want I can get the modified DTH for you although SmartThings camera capabilities are pretty minimul.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Highlighted
Tinkerer

Forgive my ignorance plesse... What is the camera DTH?
Advanced Member

DTH stands for Device Type Handler and it is not specific to a camera.  In the SmartThing's world the short terrm is device handler.

Tinkerer

Yeah, that would be great. Looks like we need to jump ship, and soon.