cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

devises dropping

Frequent Contributor

devises dropping

I know there is topics of this issue but I have done the suggestions.

I have moved a smart switch to with in 10' of my water heater timer/switch and one smoke detector, they connect for a day or two then drop out then re connect. Also the water heater timer when it reconnects it stays on a few hours past it's shut off time. Howevery it does seem to follow some type of schedule even though it is not connected at that time. very confusing.

5 REPLIES 5
Advanced Member

Re: devises dropping

I assume the "water heater timer/switch" you are referring to is the EnergySmart Electric Water Heater Controller?  If so, this device and your smoke detector are using different protocols so you are having two separate connectivity issues occuring. 

The water heater controller uses wifi to connect to the Iris hub so I suspect your home wifi signal is not strong enough to maintain a connection in the area where your controller is.  A simple way to check this would be to put your smart phone next to your controller and see what kind of signal strength you're seeing on your smart phone.  

You didn't mention what kind of smoke detector you are using so I assume it's the one made by First Alert.  This uses a Z-wave protocol and a smart plug should help with connectivity issues, but only if your using a Gen 2 smart plug.  Try moving your smartplug halfway between your hub and your smoke detector.  If this doesn't work you may want to try reseting your smoke detector and then re-pairing it to your hub.  Distance does make a difference during the pairing process so make sure your smoke detector is in close proximity to your hub.  If neither of these suggestions work, I would say that your Z-wave network just isn't strong enough.  You may have to add more Z-wave devices or Gen 2 smart plugs.

Frequent Contributor

All the above you mentioned are correct and I have 4 smart plugs trhough out my home and the First Alert is like 10' fromt one of them, and in all they are with in 20' -30' from each other including the hub. As of this morning they have reconnected so will see how long they stay on. As for the water heater, so this actually only gets its signal from the hub? What are some options to gain more signal strenght, can I install a secondary hub via wi-fi, or is my only option to move the hub which will take some wiring in the attic to accomplish this.

Advanced Member

The wifi signal orignates from your home router not the hub.  There are several ways to increase signal strength within a home wifi network.  The simpilest way would be to install a quality 802.11ac router that supports beamforming technology.

Tinkerer

Walmart carries a Netgear Wi-Fi Repeater that will strengthen the protocol over distance.  I use one in the center of the peek of my 12' x 20' shed, about 40'-45' from my  CenturyLink supplied 25 Mb router, to hop to a second (a foot apart) 12' x 20'  outbuilding to feed Wi-Fi to a laptop, a Roku and 3 Iris Indoor/Outdoor cams.  I also have 4 Smart Plugs, two in each building, plus 2 more on the nearest wall inside the house, to support 3 GE Z-wave devices and 7 Zigbee Iris Motion Sensors and Contact-Sensors in and outside of both buildings. The total distance spans about 70' from the router and hub.  Despite all that, connectivity still has intermittant issues with all three protocols.   All devices have had their bad days, but only some at a time.  The GE devices will often reconnect on their own, not always making it necessary to shut down the router and hub and hang a 50' telephone line out the window in order to get within 10' of the hard wired devices to re-pair them.  Pulling the battery (showing 100%  power & signal levels) out for 10 seconds is the usual Zigbee device fix.  The Wi-Fi  flucuates and causes momentary freezing but quickly clears up.  Both my smartphone and the Roku report strong or very strong Wi-Fi signals, but can still freeze.  What I really need is AC power on a tree half way between the house and the two outbuildings to better center the protocol repeating.  A minimum distance of 35' is just a little bit too much of a stretch to be trouble free.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Thank you, I use the Linksys routers and have one Velop, just ordered another one to put at the other end of the house, hopfully that will take care of it. Strange howevery is Water heater has been back online for 2 full days and the chime I had posted about awhile back suddenly starting chiming again when opening the door while armed. Maybe Halween has something to do with it. Thanks all for the responses.