cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to Advanced Device Configuration Needed

Access to Advanced Device Configuration Needed

I just installed more GE Smart Switches and Dimmers into my Home.  For some reason, the new Dimmer would change Parameters on the LED indicator (located on the Smart Dimmer) EVERY TIME I paired it to the Iris Hub.  I researched online and found several mentions of this glitch, in several forums, and saw many solutions posted, for several different types of Smart Hubs, but NO SOLUTIONS for the Iris Hub.

Upon further research, I discovered that other Hubs (i.e. the SmartThings Hub) have Advanced Configuration Menus for the Added Devices and allow you to change the Parameters on the Devices (Like the LED Parameters, etc.).

I had to call Iris Support and had to change the LED Parameters on my Dimmer Switch remotely.  It only took them 5 seconds to do it, and it worked perfectly, after that.

If Iris Support is able to access the Device Parameters on my Devices, through my Hub, from their Facitlity, then that means that they have access to the Configuration Menus, for our Devices....and WE DON'T???

Iris needs to add these features to their App, AND/OR Release an Advanced PC Interface for our Hubs that we can install on our Computers, to allow US the Same Access to OUR Device Configurations, that they have.

I realize that Iris is probably afraid that people will go in and mess up the Configurations on their Devices and then be calling in to Support to fix their Screw-Ups, but that's just the Nature of the Beast.

There are those of us, that want MORE CONTROL over our Devices, and Iris simply doesn't give that option to us.

Other Smart Hubs allow you to change the Ramp Settings on the Dimmers and to Create Interactive Parameters and Rules, which means that Iris needs to step up its game, and give that same Control to its Customers.

I love my Iris, and I probably won't switch... BUT... if I had known about this Difference between Iris and other Hubs, when I originally purchased?  I would have definitlely gone with the Smart Hub that gives its User the most Advanced Controls possible.

6 REPLIES
Advanced Member

Re: Access to Advanced Device Configuration Needed

Look in the feature request section.  There is a feature suggestion for this.  In fact under V1 you could change it but they never implemented it V2.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I didn't know support could change them.   I'm going to call them and have them chage a dozen or so.

Have you tried this https://iriswebportal.com/ 

-----------------------------------------------------------
Iris Web Portal
Frequent Contributor

I've looked all over your Web Portal but can't find how to change the LED in the GE switches. Am I missing it?

Thanks!

J. Mills

Tinkerer

Any luck with this?

Advanced Member

This is from the manual:

LED Indicator

The LED will be lit when the connected lighting is OFF. This is the factory default setting and can be changed if your primary controller supports the node configuration function (see Advanced Operation below)

ADVANCED OPERATION

The following Advanced Operation parameters require that you have an advanced controller like the GE model 45601 LCD remote. Advanced remotes from other manufacturers may also be able to change these settings; however, basic remotes do not have this capability.

ALL ON and ALL OFF

Depending upon your primary controller, the 45639 switch can be set to respond to ALL ON and ALL OFF commands in up to four different ways. Some controllers may not be able to change the response from its default setting. Please refer to your controller’s instructions for information on whether or not it supports the configuration function and if so, how to change this setting.

1. The four possible responses are:

2. It will respond to ALL ON and the ALL OFF command (default).

3. It will not respond to ALL ON or ALL OFF commands.

4. It will respond to the ALL OFF command but will not respond to the ALL ON command.

5. It will respond to the ALL ON command but will not respond to the ALL OFF command.

LED

When shipped from the factory, the LED is set to turn ON when the connected light is turned OFF. This is the default setting and can be changed if your primary controller supports the node configuration function. To make the LED turn ON when the light is turned ON, change parameter 3’s value to “1”. To turn the LED OFF at all times, change parameter 3’s value to 2.

• Parameter No: 3

• Length: 1 Byte

• Valid Values = 0, 1 or 2 (default 0)

Long story short is this is possible, but currently not with the Iris controller.