cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen 3?

Advanced Member

Re: Gen 3?

jorhett wrote:

Your understanding is correct Terk, the only wrinkle is that technically the Nyce Tilt Sensor is actually a certified device (the only one that doesn't participate in local alarm processing).

Schlage locks are certified devices too. They don't have any Internet cloud api, and yet their presence on the hub means no local processing of any kind. Because you have to ship the Zwave communications over the Internet for fun?

This is not true.  I have two Schlage deadbolt locks and local processing is working on my system.  From reading your other post, I would say your issue is due to having your Schlage lock paired to two controllers at the same time.  A Z-Wave node can only be paired to one hub which becomes the designated primary controller.  Secondary controllers added to the primary controller will just act as a relay remote control.  Since you have your lock paired to both Iris and Wink I have to question which is acting as the primary controller?

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Jorhett,

Schlage locks are indeed certified Works With Iris devices and they do not have local hub processing support. This doesn't affect the local processing support for alarms; it is quite possible to have Schlage locks in your system happily co-existing with local processing for alarms. To clarify, the local processing is for the alarm system - i.e. if the hub is offline, the alarm system will operate locally (sirens going off, etc).

Hope this helps,

-Mike

Frequent Contributor

That's why you put your IRIS hub and your wi-fi router on a UPS, in the event the power goes out. 

Your camera's should also be on the UPS system and you should consider a USB Modem as well.

Tinkerer

@sa-techboywrote:

I wouldn't hold ur breath on gen 3 gen 1 was a way better system and gen 2 was just a downgrade from it losing so many features.  Your better off looking at other systems that offer self monitoring and offline services in case some burglar cuts your power cause Iris systems are useless once power or Internet is cut!

I'm trying to figure out why this forum is allowing you to consistently troll negative, instead of providing real solutions.  You are adding nothing to the conversation in any of your post. Adding a UPS system and/or autobackup generator solves the power issues you discuss.  But that is not the point.  You obviously work for a competitior judging by your posts.

Please either help or move on and stop trolling!

Tinkerer

@MikeSwrote:

Hi Jorhett,

Schlage locks are indeed certified Works With Iris devices and they do not have local hub processing support. This doesn't affect the local processing support for alarms; it is quite possible to have Schlage locks in your system happily co-existing with local processing for alarms. To clarify, the local processing is for the alarm system - i.e. if the hub is offline, the alarm system will operate locally (sirens going off, etc).

So when the hub is offline, the locks being unlocked won't disarm it? That's gonna be fun.
Tinkerer

Vettester: what are you talking about?  

A) they didn't have local processing when the zwave networks are separate

B) there's nothing about Zwave that requires exclusivity, in fact it's all about sharing the network

It really feels like you're making up stuff, since the specs and my experience (and Iris staff) all disagree with you. If you have actual knowledge to back up the claim, please post it.

Advanced Member

What are you talking about?  I suggest you go back and re-read my response.

Tinkerer

Vettester: I did read your reply, and I was very specific about it. You are making statements that conflict with the Z-Wave docs, with the responses by the Iris team, and with provable, demonstrable reality.

Reading your statements again isn't what's necessary here. You backing up your statements with facts is. Perhaps you have some special wisdom about this situation that defies provable and working configuration, what the Iris team knows of their software, and what the Z-Wave spec says... if so, present it.

Tinkerer

@MikeS wrote:

Mike, I don't know how I missed this the first time-- but your reply makes no sense. Having "alarms" without processing the sensors, arming, or disarming actions 

The door locks are more than half of the alarm system. They notify when someone tries to hack them. They notify when someone tries to bust the door off the frame--statistically the most likely way my house will be broken into in this zip code. They notify when someone legitimately unlocks the door, and they alarm the system when someone locks them.

In short, we can't disarm the system because the app will be offline, and we can't arm the system for the same reason. The most likely break in method won't be processed, so anyone can break in without any sirens going off.

Exactly what part of my alarm system is functioning in this context? 

Frequent Contributor

@jorhett wrote:

In short, we can't disarm the system because the app will be offline, and we can't arm the system for the same reason. The most likely break in method won't be processed, so anyone can break in without any sirens going off.

That is just plain false as a general statment.  I have IRIS 2nd gen hub and I can arm and disarm offline.  Maybe if you have locks you can't - I don't have locks and cannot comment.  You make general negative statements without being specific, which misleads people.