cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen 3?

Frequent Contributor

Gen 3?

Do we have insight on when gen 3 will be coming out? We're considering expanding, but don't want to invest if there's something better coming soon? Unless, of course, Lowe's does the free hub upgrade again...

25 REPLIES
Frequent Contributor

Re: Gen 3?

I wouldn't hold ur breath on gen 3 gen 1 was a way better system and gen 2 was just a downgrade from it losing so many features.  Your better off looking at other systems that offer self monitoring and offline services in case some burglar cuts your power cause Iris systems are useless once power or Internet is cut!

Community Manager

Hi guys,

You can buy accessories (whether they are Z-Wave, Zigbee, or Wi-Fi) for you Gen 2 (current generation) Iris system without any concern about future compatibility. 

You guys will also be pleased to know that Iris now offers offline processing in the hub, so alarms will sound in your home even if the internet has been cut. The hub additionally has built-in battery backup capability. We also have a cellular modem backup as an option. 

Hope this helps, 

Thanks,

-Mike

Frequent Contributor

MikeS wrote:

You can buy accessories (whether they are Z-Wave, Zigbee, or Wi-Fi) for you Gen 2 (current generation) Iris system without any concern about future compatibility. 

That's what they said about the v1 energy monitoring devices too.... well, we see now that those were expensive investments that are no longer supported! 

Tinkerer

You guys will also be pleased to know that Iris now offers offline processing in the hub
Um, well unless you have anything non-Iris installed because for some reason if ANYTHING on the entire hub is not Iris brand then there is no local processing of anything. (unlike any other hub which can do local of somethings and not others)
Community Manager

Hi jorhett,

Numerous non-Iris branded devices participate in local processing, including many third party smoke detectors, water leak sensors, motions sensors, and many other devices. You can also have any number of the many 3rd party non-alarm system devices Iris supports paired without affecting local alarm processing.

I believe what you might be thinking of is a very specific case, where one device (Nyce Tilt Sensor) doesn't yet support local alarm processing, meaning if you have one of these paired, you will not have local alarm processing on by default. 

Hope this explaination helps,

-Mike

Advanced Member

MikeS wrote:

Hi jorhett,

Numerous non-Iris branded devices participate in local processing, including many third party smoke detectors, water leak sensors, motions sensors, and many other devices. You can also have any number of the many 3rd party non-alarm system devices Iris supports paired without affecting local alarm processing.

I believe what you might be thinking of is a very specific case, where one device (Nyce Tilt Sensor) doesn't yet support local alarm processing, meaning if you have one of these paired, you will not have local alarm processing on by default. 

Hope this explaination helps,

-Mike

@MikeSHaving any device that says "uncertified device" like the Nyce Tilt Sensor or GE Hinge Pin Sensor participating in the alarm is the only thing that will prevent local processing was my understanding, they can be joined to your system and used for rule processing and notifications but cannot be included in the alarm monitoring if you want local processing.

Is that not the case?  Thanks.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Community Manager

Hi,

Your understanding is correct Terk, the only wrinkle is that technically the Nyce Tilt Sensor is actually a certified device (the only one that doesn't participate in local alarm processing).

-Mike

Tinkerer

So I don't have a single scene setup in the Iris in which local processing works. It's 100% Iris devices, including a garage door opener. The only, ONLY, things in the Iris app which are not Iris devices are Schlage locks.

Now, Schlage locks do not have any Internet presence. They don't require cloud connections like Nest or anything else. You're only talking to these devices over local Zwave. And yet, you claim this requires a "Cloud driver" and because I have Schlage locks, there's not a single scene on my Iris hub which has local processing.

Tinkerer

Your understanding is correct Terk, the only wrinkle is that technically the Nyce Tilt Sensor is actually a certified device (the only one that doesn't participate in local alarm processing).

Schlage locks are certified devices too. They don't have any Internet cloud api, and yet their presence on the hub means no local processing of any kind. Because you have to ship the Zwave communications over the Internet for fun?