cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hackability and Encryption

Hackability and Encryption

There has been news lately regarding the ability to hack ZWave networks. Do you ahve infomation on if/how Iris supports device encryption?

6 REPLIES
Frequent Contributor

Re: Hackability and Encryption

lol don't need to hack system to gain entrance!  They just need to cut power or Internet and it goes into brick mode been done already.  Better off looking for a system that works offline even if there is not Internet or power....!

Community Manager

Iris takes the security of your devices and data very seriously. You should ensure your home router and smartphone software is always up to date and the vendor has updated their software to patch any vulnerability. Iris encrypts data between devices and our platform in addition to any local network encryption.

In addition, alarm devices can now sound locally in the event of an internet outage. Learn more about local processing of alarms in our 2.7 release blog: https://www.irisbylowes.com/blog/iris-at-home/whats-new-2-7-release/ 

Tinkerer

Offline processing is great...if you are home. If you are at work, vacation, etc., offline processing can only do so much. Yes, your alarm will sound but you, the police, fire department will be in the dark until someone comes home. Purchasing a security system is a proactive step. Making sure your security system will function in the instance of power or internet interruption is also a necessary, proactive step. Any security system that does not have power back up and celleur backup is vulnerable. Iris has a cellular backup modem that can be attached to your hub that switches over in the instance of an internet outage. The hub also has batteries that will help in a power outage but I went a step further and have the hub plugged into an Uninterruptible Power Supply. So, if the internet goes out and/or the power goes out, my hub is still fully functional.   

Frequent Contributor

Well for me I have second siren cause the one on the hub wouldn't even wake a baby up and if it goes off it can be heard outside as well so it would let neighbors know and check it out.

Highlighted
Tinkerer

I certainly agree. I have two additional sirens and a rule to turn on every light in the house for an alarm. I wouldn't count on neighbors to go check on an active alarm. Alarms are always going off randomly either house or car and most people don't think twice about it as long as it's not their home or car. Most just assume it's a false alarm and go back to their busy schedule. That or they may not be home either. That's why it's imperative to make sure your security system is accessable 24/7 no matter what so that you can make the determination if police, fire or both are needed. 

Frequent Contributor

I have 2 sirens, the same rule that turns on all the lights as well as a USB modem.  I also went the route of getting a good size UPS and have it dedicated to the IRIS Hub, my wi-fi router and several cameras.  It can operate for upt to 12 hours after the commercial power goes off line.  Short of putting in a whole house generator, I'm not certain what else one can do to protect one's home under those circumstances while away.