cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iris and Schlage Touchscreen BE469 Deadbolts - Unreliable

Re: Iris and Schlage Touchscreen BE469 Deadbolts - Unreliable

I have been having this same issue for about a year. That is why I have not taken the premium service. I was on the phone with a tech on Sunday for about am hour. They got it resolved and working... guess what.... It's not working two days later.
Rookie

Thanks for doing this detective work.  I do hope that the Iris team gets the message and upgrades their security.

I too have had many problems keeping my three Schlage BE 469 locks connected to the hub - over a period of years.  At one point, I seriously considered getting a second hub.  But after purchasing many Smart Plugs to extend the Z-Wave network, and many hours with Iris tech support and many, many Z-Wave rebuilds, I had a stable network.  BUT, after a few months, the connectivity problems started again.  I believe the event which causes the Z-Wave network problem was when my water leak detector needed new batteries.  It is a Z-Wave device and its temporary loss in the network seemed to have triped me back into Schlage lock connectivity problems.  I replaced the batteries in the leak detector and have rebuilt the network 10 or 15 times since - but I still cannot get back to a reliable network.

So, my plea to the Iris Team is to give the users more information and control - via the app:

• Let us see which devices in our network are using Z-Wave communication.  With the Iris Tech Team's help, I have had to reinstall many Smart Switches that were only using ZigBee.  For whatever reason, the hun had not registered them as a Z-Wave repeated.  Of course, reliable including the Z-Wave option on Smart Plugs would be best.  If needed, let the user specify that they need the Z-Wave option to communicate with remote Z-Wave devices.
  • Let us see the current network path to all of our Z-Wave devices.
  • Give us the ability to alter the currently configured path, using our knowledge of our homes - path distances, walls, etc.
  • And once we get to a stable Z-Wave network, give us the ability to lock that network configuration in place.  It should only need to be updated if we add/remove devices or move walls, refrigerators, etc. in our homes.

Another issue with communication failures is the way Iris has changed notification of failure events over the years.  At one point, a dead battery or a disconnected device was a major event that would be obvious immediately on opening the app.  But now, one has to dig.  Are you trying to hide your communication issues from the users??

To the Iris Team, you have a great start on Home Automation that sits very well with do-it-yourself people like me.  Please fix the warts on the product to make it a secure home automation system that I could gladly recommend to all my colleagues.

Same issue. Hours after the door is locked or unlocked I will get a status that it just happened. I used to rely on the info on this app but now it’s hardly ever correct. It still controls it. Just doesn’t ever have the correct status unless it is done on the app
Support Staff

Hello Bobcox, 

Thank you for reaching out to Iris on our Community page. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your lock.  Sometimes the devices can have a hard time connecting without repeaters if your mess network is not strong, if you are having issues with your lock showing greyed out in the app, and nothing is wrong with the lock manually? This is a range issue. All the idea’s you listed below are great ideas. Thank you for sharing them. 

The best for something like your case is the GE Z-Wave Switch's, they are not the hardwired ones. They are just like the smart plugs but different shaped, they have one plug in out lite on each side of the switch, and they run off the Z-Wave network, you can use them as switch's as well as repeaters for the Z-Wave Network.  

Please let us know if you need help with your mesh network after getting a Z-Wave Switch, please let me know. I would be more than happy to reach out to you and help.  

Thank you, 

Iris Support Team  

Frequent Contributor

So after countless calls with Iris support troubleshooting system and lock I called Schlage customer service and told them what happened. They replaced my lock for FREE with a newer model number and I just had to show them the model number and a picture of the inside of the lock tag. It was covered under their 5 yr warranty. They don't advertise it so I'm thinking not many take advantage of it. After replacing it with the newer model number I haven't had near as many issues and lock works like it should.

Highlighted
Advanced Member

@Jmnewbury wrote:

So after countless calls with Iris support troubleshooting system and lock I called Schlage customer service and told them what happened. They replaced my lock for FREE with a newer model number and I just had to show them the model number and a picture of the inside of the lock tag. It was covered under their 5 yr warranty. They don't advertise it so I'm thinking not many take advantage of it. After replacing it with the newer model number I haven't had near as many issues and lock works like it should.

Schlage has really good customer service.  I have had two issues with my lock and in both cases schlage sent me a new one (refurbished probably).

They did not require me to send back the old one either time.  The first time it was a problem with the circuit board and the second time it was a touchscreen failure.  The touchcreen is on the outside of the lock and the board is on the inside section. After they sent me the second replacement lock I was able to take the two working halfs of the two bad ones and make a good one.   Good thing I am a bit of a hoarder and did not throw away that first lock.   So I got a two for one deal, it just took about a year to get the second one put together.

That being said it was excellent customer service, but there is the issue that I had two failures in less than a year on my original lock and the first replacement lock.   It's been about a year now and both locks have been working great.

Tinkerer

Hi, I just got this same lock and I am in the same situation.  The lock doesn't seem to register the correct state (locked vs unlocked).  I will unlock it by hand and it still shows locked or vice versa in the app. 

Everything else seems to work except for the default user pin - but I'm wondering if that is normal to block that out after it gets connected to the hub??

I am going to try calling their support in the next day or two to see if there is a remedy to this.  For anyone looking for it -

Schlage Customer Service at: 888-805-9837 (US) 800-900-4734 (Canada)

Frequent Contributor

So Iris never fixed mine. I actually called Schlage and apparently there's a newer model out with better z wave and they replaced my lock for FREE and I still even got to keep the old one. Just call Schlage's warranty line and explain that it's not working properly and you've tried to fix multiple times. They will replace for FREE. You just need the model number and give them the name of the store you bought it from. There's a 5 year manufacturer warranty on those locks that they just don't advertise much. I had my lock for over 2 years and they replaced for FREE. If you buy any future locks through schlage just make sure it lists the (newer model). Hope this helps.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Iris and Touchscreen Deadbolts - Unreliable

So Iris never fixed mine. I actually called Schlage and apparently there's a newer model out with better z wave and they replaced my lock for FREE and I still even got to keep the old one. Just call Schlage's warranty line and explain that it's not working properly and you've tried to fix multiple times. They will replace for FREE. You just need the model number and give them the name of the store you bought it from. There's a 5 year manufacturer warranty on those locks that they just don't advertise much. I had my lock for over 2 years and they replaced for FREE. If you buy any future locks through schlage just make sure it lists the (newer model). Hope this helps.