cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iris and Schlage Touchscreen BE469 Deadbolts - Unreliable

Frequent Contributor

Iris and Schlage Touchscreen BE469 Deadbolts - Unreliable

I am sharing this in hopes that someone will take notice and help me understand exactly why Iris cannot properly control and report the status of both of my Schlage Touchscreen Deadbolts (BE469).  I first paired these locks in August 2016 and for months they seemed to be working fine.  With the latest platform and app updates, however, it seems that something has changed and not for the better.  The Iris app started misreporting the status (Locked/Unlocked) of both Deadbolts and sometimes the Open/Close buttons are greyed out and I cannot control the locks remotely in the app.  I have called tech support many times but they always tells me the same thing:  Z-Wave network looks great, all devices connected...just do a Z-Wave network rebuild and check again in 24 hours.  This would only occasionally make things better for a few hours or perhaps a day but it has gotten to the point that I can no longer trust the system to properly control or report the status of my door locks.  I have the app running on multiple devices with the same results.  One tech had me move my smart plug to another location and rebuild the Z-Wave network, but I am still having issues.  I know it's not a Z-Wave issue because:

1.  I have 2 locks intermittently in the exact same failure mode.  The probability of having a Z-Wave failure on both locks is very low.

2.  I have many other Z-Wave devices that are working just fine.  Some of these are much further away from the hub than these deadbolts.

3.  I can manage user access on these deadbolts even when they are not reporting lock position/responding to controls properly.

4.  Tech support always tells me that the Z-Wave network looks great but yet there are still issues.

5.  All other Iris functionality is working with no issues.

I believe that this is something to do with the reliability of the platform with regards to delivery of status/control messages from/to these locks.  Until this is resolved, I have downgraded my premium service to basic as I don't see any point in paying for a service that doesn't meet my needs.

Has anyone else had issues with Iris managing these Schlage touch screen BE469 deadbolts?

18 REPLIES
Frequent Contributor

Re: Iris and Schlage Touchscreen BE469 Deadbolts - Unreliable

I had this issue with my YALE deadbolt lock. After 1.5 hours on the phone with tech support, we resolved it. They had me factory reset it while they "cleared" it on their end and it was fixed. It took us 3 tries but eventually it worked. 

Frequent Contributor

I've had similar problems with my Schlage touchscreen, mostly in regard to notifications.  It's at the other end of the house from the hub in a very dense (50+) z-wave mesh.  As I understand it, 4 hops are all that z-wave signals can reliably do. Analysis by IRIS support showed that my deadbolt was connecting to the mesh through a switch out in my garage (wrong direction from the hub), then traveling through devices in the house. This was strange because there were several devices in closer proximity to the deadbolt.

It took several z-wave rebuilds to get it mapping more efficiently, and now notifications are much more dependable. Get support to drill down and figure how many hops it is taking to get to the hub.  If it is too many, consider moving the hub or running the rebuild several times in succession. You might even try air-gapping any switches that are causing an inefficient route to the hub, then adding them back in after the rebuild.

Has anyone else had issues with Iris managing these Schlage touch screen BE469 deadbolts?

@rgiesman2  Have you pulled a Zwave map off your network? It may be that the locks path is on an unreliable device.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Iris Web Portal
Frequent Contributor

So...I have spent a total of about 3.5 hours on the phone with Iris support over the last 2 days.  It came down to this:

I had to relocate the Iris hub (Since relocating the doors is not an option) to make sure that the door locks had a direct connection to the hub.  They do not like being linked to only other devices in the mesh without a connection to the hub.

Since doing this earlier today, they have been reliable.  I will give it a few days before I will call this a fix.

Frequent Contributor

I've been having same issue and no resolve from iris support yet. I've never had an issue before but the last couple weeks it's severely delayed when I manually unlock it. From my phone it's quick but I keep getting false Alarms because it takes 3 minutes for the hub to recognize the door was unlocked. I don't have internet near my hub though. Not sure how I could temporarily move the hub
Frequent Contributor

How do you pull a z wave map? I logged into iris web portal and I don't see a place for that
Frequent Contributor

Okay, I have an update.  The system is back in the same failure mode it was a in few days ago.  Earlier today, I tried to turn on a light connected to an Iris smart switch (Zigbee) and it didn't respond.  I arrived home tonight and tried to unlock my front door deadbolt with the Iris app.  It wouldn't respond.  I then opened the door manually and Iris still didn't update and showed the deadbolt as locked when it was clearly not the case.  This was the last straw.  I've had enough.

As an experienced network and information security engineer, I decided to take matters into my own hands.  I needed to know if there was some sort of network issue with my home network.  I went ahead and did a network packet capture (PCAP) on my home network using tcpdump, and I could see that the Iris hub was definitely sending and receiving network traffic to/from the Iris platform.  It was when I looked at this traffic that immediately grabbed my attention.  I literally could not believe what I saw traversing my home network.

Before someone from the Iris team decides to try and accuse me of reverse-engineering their technology, they need to stand down because I am simply observing network traffic on my own personal home network.  I haven't done anything to breach the Iris Terms of Service agreement.  This being said, here is what I saw in the network capture:

1. The Iris hub communicating with the internet-facing host "bh.irisbylowes.com (13.68.117.58) " on port 443 using Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.2.
  2. The "secure" server it was connecting to supports weak export cipher suites with Diffie-Hellman (DH) key exchange parameters using a common 1024-bit prime.  An academic team or a nation-state can break this prime which would allow passive eavesdropping on the TLS connection that is used to transmit/recieve sensitive data on the Iris platform.
  3. The SSL certificate installed on the server has a weak signature hashing algorithm (SHA-1).  This is a security risk that could allow someone to mint a forged certificate which could be used to connect to the platform.  This is not inconceivable.  Earlier this year, Google Achieved a successful collision attack on SHA-1 as was predicted by security experts all over.  Although this is not a cheap attack, the cost will drop every year as processors advance and eventually the Iris platform will become a more attractive target as it is used to secure more and more homes and businesses.

I certainly hope I've gotten someone's attention with this.  The Iris team needs to step up their security game and remediate these security risks.

Frequent Contributor

This was NOT a fix, so please whomever marked it as such, don't mislead other Iris users into believing that this will resolve their issues.  The Locks quit working today, and I am starting to get the impression that I am NOT the only user experiencing this problem.

Frequent Contributor

Don't waste your time moving the hub.  I placed mine within 10 feet of the locks and still having issues.