cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowe's presence at CES 2017

SOLVED
Highlighted

Lowe's presence at CES 2017

Not to steal smitho post but I feel something needed to go here. 

It seems that Iris or Lowe's is not at CES 2017

http://forum.livingwithiris.com/index.php?/topic/3736-lowes-presence-at-ces-2017/

-----------------------------------------------------------
Iris Web Portal
10 REPLIES 10
Community Manager

Re: Lowe's presence at CES 2017

While we view CES as a great opportunity to exhibit the benefits and innovations of smart homes, we made the decision to allocate our marketing budget in other areas this year.  However, senior Iris team members will be attending the show.

Tinkerer

That is really unfortunate... CES coverage dominates tech news for the majority of January. The articles and youtube videos I saw on the impressive smart home exhibit Lowe's had a couple of years ago is what really sold me on the system. 
There is a TON of competition out there, I would bet smart home technology will be one of (if not THE) biggest cattegories on the show floor.
All the major players will be accounted for... It just makes me wonder if Lowes will be ever able to "hang with the big boys". It sucks for us to be dating the girl that doesn't want to go to the prom.
I have a fairly large iris implementation, and I'm dedicated to it and "too far in" to jump ship, but decisions like this make me wonder if Samsung's SmartThings is going to slowly drive iris into the ground.

Frequent Contributor

I agree, I'm betting SmartThings and others will have a large presence at CES.  I'm not seeing this marketing budget being better spent anywhere else.  The Nest and Echo end caps at the stores look better than anything Iris has at the stores I visit.  Definately concerning.

Tinkerer

If you can gleen anything from one of the CES live blogs, ( http://www.anandtech.com/show/10996/samsung-ces-2017-event-live-blog ) when Samsung did their press conference, SmartThings was only mentioned one time and "we have IoT products in every appliance category"  along with IoT: "not just a buzzword, it guides our strategy"

So it looks like Samsung is very interested in selling stuff that might connect with SmartThings.

Technical Director

We just got back from CES so I thought it would be a great time to follow up on this.  While we did not build the house on the show floor again, we did have a series of very successful interactions with existing and possibly new partners.  With everybody being in the same place, CES is a great time to connect, reconnect, and find new products for our connected homes.  As with past years, our schedules were overflowing from sunrise to after sunset (probably the most exhausting, yet exciting, conference for us).  

We had the opportunity to see everything from the absurd to the uniquely awesome.  While we are under several non-disclosure agreements and we can’t responsibly post whom we met with and what we thought of the things we saw, here is a bit of a tease:

We looked at things that may help you better see, hear, and speak with your house.  We always look to increase the security of our homes, including better insight into what’s there.   We found interesting new ways to sense…things.  We saw some ways to more easily make your house safer.  We learned more about the next generation of technology and protocols that will power the smart home.  Finally, we dealt with water without getting wet.  

We are looking forward to bringing some of those experiences we found at CES to your home. 

Frequent Contributor

Wow,sounds exciting.Cant wait to here more !!!!!!

Frequent Contributor

By the way can you explain your title , also how long have you been working with the Iris system.

Technical Director

Hi Mustang 

As the Technical Director I am mainly responsible for software development, technical operations,  technical aspects of device integrations, and informing our roadmap with respect to technical innovation.  

I've been with Lowe's for over 3 years and in the Smart Home space for longer (since one of the first DIY solutions came to market many years ago). 

Frequent Contributor

Jason,

Thanks for the reply,it's nice to hear from someone with experience.I look forward to your insight in the future 

Thanks again