cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Alert smoke alarm and co dropping connection

Highlighted
Rookie

First Alert smoke alarm and co dropping connection

I have in the house the hub and four First alerts and paired to hub ok. I have one in the garage was working when i move it to there after pairing put will not stay connected to hub.

Is it too far from hub? If so what is there to extend signal range to my garage? Hub is about 40 feet from garage in the one room I have it

6 REPLIES
Advanced Member

Re: First Alert smoke alarm and co dropping connection

Fishtk75 wrote:

I have in the house the hub and four First alerts and paired to hub ok. I have one in the garage was working when i move it to there after pairing put will not stay connected to hub.

Is it too far from hub? If so what is there to extend signal range to my garage? Hub is about 40 feet from garage in the one room I have it

Could be.  Did you do a Z-Wave rebuild after getting them all placed?  You can also try getting a V2 smartplug and place it somewhere between the hub and the garage.  The smartplugs are Z-wave and Zigbee repeaters so it may help.

Frequent Contributor

I had the same problem with mine. It wasn't too far from the hub, but I'm guessing there was a lot of stuff in the walls blocking the signal. I would also recommend a smart plug as a repeater. You'll have to play around with where to plug it in, but it should help you out quite a bit. Just remember to run the Z-wave rebuild while everything is still connected. Once its disconnected, the Z-wave rebuild won't help.

Another note is that I think I disconnected and re-paired my detector too many times so it was still not staying connected even after I set up the smart plug. I had to un-pair the detector with the "Remove Z-wave Devices" tool and then re-pair it normally and since then it has worked flawlessly.  

Rookie

I tryed that as unpair the detector and repaired still lose connection.  Now all of you said smart plug which part number you used?

Rookie

I did Z-wave rebuild and did not find it. Up pair and pair and moved to garage dropped again. Now as all said V2 smartplug and what part number you talking about the 3210-L smart plug or differant one? I read that you have to let it set 24 hour to pair right before moving on other posts the smart plugs?

Rookie

I did Z-wave rebuild and did not find it. Up pair and pair and moved to garage dropped again. Now as all said V2 smartplug and what part number you talking about the 3210-L smart plug or different one? I read that you have to let it set 24 hour to pair right before moving on other posts the smart plugs?

Tinkerer

I have found this to be an issue for over a year. I have 8 first alert smoke/co detectors.

2 of the 8 are in a detached studio which always drop off. I have a v2 smartplug in the same room and another v2 smartplug past the studio for extending mesh to door sensors. I do not have any issues with the v2 plugs having a great signal, never dropping, yet the first alerts seem to be not using the extenders. 

I have removed them from iris countless times and reinstalled. Does not fix issue.

I even swapped out one from the house that never had issues and immedietly it drops like the one I switched with in the studio.