Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Alert smoke alarm and co dropping connection

SOLVED
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

First Alert smoke alarm and co dropping connection

At random the 2 detectors drop connection to hub. Sometimes it is 1 and sometimes it is both. They do always re-connect. At most the detectors have a smart plug within 10' and no more than another 15' to the next smart plug. The hops from plug to plug are either going through 1 drywall wall or a wood floor.  What are the specs for these smart plugs as far as penetrating walls and distance ranges? I have 13 devices online at present with no problems other than the smoke detectors dropping connection.  To keep adding smart plugs gets a little expensive! Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome.  I should add 1 detector is on the 2nd floor and 1 is in the basement.  Thanks

6 REPLIES
Frequent Contributor

Re: First Alert smoke alarm and co dropping connection

Update - since initial question i have installed additional smart plugs. I now have a total of 6 smart plugs to improve signal. I have 1 on the top floor where hub is located along with 3 on the main floor and 2 in the basement. I have played around with spacing and locations. While things have improved I would hardly say the smoke/co detectors are reliable from a remote monitoring stand point. I saw someone posted that the only other type of smoke detector that was approved is no longer being made so it looks like we are stuck with a mediocre product for the time being. This is really a shame as I have IRIS installed at 2 properties and was looking to add more but at the cost it is just not worth the gamble if they will work or not.

Advanced Member

Hmmm.... I have a bunch of these that I've had for years and I have never had any connectivity issues with any of them.

IMG_2340.JPG

A strong Z-wave network makes a huge difference in keeping your devices connected.

Frequent Contributor

Hmmm... With all due respect I could take a screen shot when all is good. The problem is there are 2500 views between my post and one from a year ago so I doubt I'm the only one with the issue. I have a 2100 sq ft house with 6 smart plugs plus the hub. There should be no problem with z-wave signal reaching devices. I have even flipped devices with no better results. I have rebuilt the network more times than I would like to think should be needed.  I was hoping for a little help and not a screen shot and z-wave comment  2 1/2 months after I asked the question. And then to wait until I close the post!! C'mon man, thats amatuer hour!! Be helpful and constructive or be silent!! Thats what this boards for. :smileyvery-happy:

Tinkerer

I had the First Alert smoke/co device as well and could never get it to maintain connection, even after calling support.  I have a small home and the hub and detector were only 25 to 30 feet away, with one smart plug.  I finally gave up and went with the smoke detector alone.  It works great.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the info. I probably should have started with one of each type  but I really liked the CO feature so I started with 2 of the combo units. I'm looking to add some at a home 60 miles away and really need dependability from a monitoring stand point. I really have been happy with the other features of the system as I have it at both places for both security and HA. Thanks for your input!! 

Advanced Member

@Augie20 wrote:

Hmmm... With all due respect I could take a screen shot when all is good. The problem is there are 2500 views between my post and one from a year ago so I doubt I'm the only one with the issue. I have a 2100 sq ft house with 6 smart plugs plus the hub. There should be no problem with z-wave signal reaching devices. I have even flipped devices with no better results. I have rebuilt the network more times than I would like to think should be needed.  I was hoping for a little help and not a screen shot and z-wave comment  2 1/2 months after I asked the question. And then to wait until I close the post!! C'mon man, thats amatuer hour!! Be helpful and constructive or be silent!! Thats what this boards for. :smileyvery-happy:

Good luck resolving your issues!